Nieces and Nephews

Nieces and Nephews

"No, that's not my child."

54
Nieces and Nephews
Aida Diop

There's so many different words that come to mind when I think of my nieces and nephews. The main one is love. They're energy-packed bundles of love. Every morning, they wake up with a clean slate and they're ready to draw and color all over it. The older they get, the more expressive they become. I can barely describe the joy of watching my nieces and nephews as they grow into individuals with distinct personalities.

As they grow up, I have the chance to not only watch, but to also help shape them into who they are today. It's a scary thought to think young minds look up to me, but I lean on them for the support to be the best example I can be.

I was there for the birth of one my nephews and boy, was that an experience. I've changed his diapers and yes, I probably used about ten wipes and twenty minutes to get the job done - that was about ten years ago. Now, with the newest member of the family, I'm down to using about two wipes and just five minutes to change him. I'm telling you about my diaper escapades because I've grown just as much as they have throughout the years. I've learned to do so much because of it and for them. For instance, I was terrible at guessing a random child's age. Now, I have a niece or nephew in 5 different stages. That helps me to see what changes happen at what age. Just being around them has taught me patience for contrasting situations. They've even helped me realize how I feel about having children of my own in the future.

It's like I've gotten the chance to practice and perfect different aspects of childcare. It is interesting when they ask me questions which make me think in different ways. They have said things like, "Why are you always on you your phone? Why is the sky blue?"

The way they observe the world helps me to see it in different lights. Besides the height difference, they are inclined to use their imagination to keep themselves busy. They're constantly taking in information from varying view points throughout the day. Some of my most interesting conversations happen at the end of the day with one of my nieces or nephews.

They even surprise me in the mornings sometimes. To be fair, anything that happens at 7am on a Saturday is a surprise to me. I am so envious of the amount of energy they contain. It's as though their energy and curiosity is endless. That endless wonder is what makes them so special. That belief in magic keeps hope alive in their hearts to reach their dreams and accomplish their goals.

Seeing them constantly attain academic and nonacademic achievements makes me so proud. It also makes me hopeful. They're a happy reminder that little things absolutely do matter. Little things like asking how someone's day was or kissing them goodnight matter.

We could all listen, ask, and read more with the children in our lives. Life gets busy and the world doesn't stop revolving. They don't stop growing and changing either.