On Being A Twin

On Being A Twin

It's both pretty weird and pretty cool!
82

Everyone always asks me what it's like to be a twin. Well, I couldn't really say as it's pretty much different for each twin but here are some things I have found from my own experience as a twin.

1. I understand why you can't tell us apart. Sometimes, I can't either.

We may not be identical twins., but people seem to think we are a lot of the time. I don't really see it but people seem to not be able to tell us apart. We have completely different styles and personalities. I'm more reserved while she is all over the place, but somehow we still seem to confuse people. The extent of how we get confused is really outstanding and our parents didn't help either. There is literally one letter difference between our names. It's so weird. On paper, we are pretty much the same person, almost the same name, same address, same schooling, almost the same phone number since we got our phones at the same time and a lot of the same experiences. It's really confusing.

I remember an instance this summer where the confusion was just insane. We had both been applying for jobs and we applied to the same place. A week later I got a call for an interview. I went in for it and it went well. A couple of weeks later I got a call for another interview. I naturally assumed that they called me in again because they wanted to hire me. Boy, was I wrong. I did the interview and I got the job. When I went in for orientation, I found that I couldn't sign in as an employee with my social security card. They said that I probably made a mistake when I put in my social security in the application, but I knew, I just knew that they had mixed up the applications. It turns out that I was right, they called for an interview the first time for me, and the second interview was supposed to be for my sister. They then sort of assumed we were one person and that person was her, so technically I got the job but under her information so she was in the system, not me. It ended up working out because I kind of convinced them that since my twin was already technically a worker there, why not hire her. It was just a really weird and confusing situation but now I can look back at it and laugh. The fact that they thought we were so alike (though, I don't really think we are) that they made us into one, is just really strange.

The only time I ever think we actually look really alike is in the pictures I have from when we were kids. We are honestly still in an argument about who is who in one of our old pictures. Not even our mom can tell. We have asked pretty much everyone in our family. I guess we will never know.

2. We fight a lot.

The extent of how we get confused is really outstanding and our parents didn't help either. There is literally one letter difference between our names. It's so weird. time and just hearing it is driving me crazy). We're just different, which just makes us constantly argue for the most asinine reasons. We literally spent over three hours arguing on the phone about how Ethel from Riverdale is actually evil. (She is, by the way. Did you see that wicked smirk?). It's just the strangest thing but we always end I guess this is not that common among twins but we fight an absurd amount. We don't really have much in common. She's loud, I'm quiet. She's really into fashion and I couldn't care less. She loves theatre, music, and plays and if I hear another Hamilton song, I might lose my mind ( not because Hamilton isn't great, it is but more because she sings it all up forgetting whatever it was we were fighting about.

3. The "evil twin" stereotype is 100% true.

I know this because I am the evil twin. No explanation, I just am.

4. I'm happy that we are apart.

Don't get me wrong, my sister is truly the best person in my life. She's my best friend and I love when we are together but I'm glad that we are apart now. Growing up, we were always together, everything we did, we did together. When I would go to a friend's house since we had the same friends, she would come with. When I went to a party, she would be there. I would wake up next to her, get ready for school with her, go to school with her, do homework with her, and go places with her. Basically, everywhere I was, she was too. It felt like I wasn't even a person, I was just one of "the twins" and that drove me crazy. Now that we are in different colleges, I finally feel like an individual, I'm no longer a matching set. I don't even really tell people that I'm a twin, just because I don't want to get that look of "aww, you're a twin, you're so lucky".

Being apart actually even helps our relationship, we still talk all the time and when we do see each, we just fall back into the same old rhythm easier.

6. We actually DO have a secret twin language

I think this is less because we are twins and more because we are just complete weirdos.

5. Yes, we are obsessed with Tia and Tamera, Annie and Hallie, Mary-Kate and Ashley and The Sweet Valley Twins.

Or maybe that's just me.