Through The City's Eyes: My Trip To New York

My very first time to the Big Apple, from a different point of view.

14
Google Images

I’ve witnessed and lived through hundreds of years. Millions of people have walked my streets, kissed in my park, and cried in my apartments. I’ve heard the voices of Broadway stars angelically singing in my theaters. I’ve gone through utter heartbreak and pain as I lost two of my buildings along with hundreds of innocent lives. But, even though I’ve gone through so much, my favorite thing to witness are the people who come here with big dreams and shining eyes. I do have one girl who sticks out to me like a shining jewel in a dark cave.

When she first stepped onto my streets, her footsteps were soft and tentative as if she was thought I would break. Her brown eyes grew big, shining like two stars, never stopping as they took everything in that I had to offer. She felt small, I could sense it, as she craned her neck to take in my impressive buildings. Insignificant in such a large new world to her but I watched her square her shoulders like an explorer on her way to an adventure. I could see her very softly, as if I was something to be revered, mouth my name. New York City. A grin grew on her face as she spun around. A giggle escaped her lips and she shouted even louder, “I’m in New York City!” A warm feeling flowed through me as I watched this young girl just radiate excitement and wonder. It was such a change from the feelings I felt every day. The people here were too busy to admire my tall buildings anymore or take the time to walk through Central Park. They hurried from here to there, devoid of emotion. I wanted to latch onto this girl and keep her forever. She was a ray of sunshine in a big, forbearing city.

Throughout the day, I followed her as she explored my streets. She dashed in and out of the stores, coming out with bags filled with new items. I watched her stop, listen, and then sing with a musician in Central Park. She stopped to smell the fragrant flowers and watch the people walking by going through their everyday life. Her excitement of being in a place so new with new experiences waiting to happen just rolled off her in waves. I could feel it as if I were standing right next to her. When the wind blew just right I could smell her perfume. It was floral with hints of vanilla that would cover the strong rotten, scent of my sewers and make me remember what it felt like to be a young city where only sweet smelling flowers grew. The smile never left her face even when rain began to fall. Instead of pulling on the hood of her red jacket she lifted her face towards the sky and let the misty showers fall on her face. I watched her dance from crosswalk line to crosswalk line, her hair the color of chocolate blowing and flowing behind her. Her footsteps felt like soft snowflakes falling each time they hit the pavement. She walked as if on air, putting her weight on her toes and smiling at all of the people she walked past. The nervous energy I felt radiating off of her early in the day melted off like water. She was in her element as was I as I watched this beautiful creature.

As day drew the curtains closed on her act and night took center stage, I switched on my lights to illuminate the dark streets. When the stars came out, they were faintly visible due to the brightness of the taxi lights and buildings. But the girl seemed to thrive even more in the glow of my billboards and street lamps. She became more playful, singing along to the songs that were weaving their way out the doors of the stores.

I watched her and I couldn’t help but feel sad. She was a burst of fresh air in this big city of mine where no one stopped to feel excitement or to explore what I offered. This girl reminded me of the reason I was here - to be a beacon of light to the dreamers and people who worked their whole lives to achieve their dreams. To welcome people of all races, backgrounds, and beliefs. I, New York City, had a bigger purpose than to be just a busy city. I was an escape from everyday life to people who were willingly and eager to look for adventure. My theaters were made for the people who wanted to be swept away to a Paris Opera House or to Oz. I represented a place where dreams could be made or come true. And while the citizens who walk, drive, or bike my streets everyday may have forgotten that, the girl who visited showed me that people still came for those very reasons.