My Top Picks: Anime Characters

My Top Picks: Anime Characters

11 characters I grew to love throughout the series

36
My Top Picks:  Anime Characters
Shayne Pearson Blog

I love anime just as much as the next girl. Scratch that. I probably love anime more than the next girl. I've been watching different series ever since I was in high school. Just like with any movie or TV show, there are those characters you love, characters you hate and characters you love to hate (**cough cough** Crowley **cough cough**). I got to thinking back over some of my favorite anime series and compiled a list of my top eleven favorite characters. Also, this probably goes without saying, but SPOILER ALERT for those who have watched the series, or want to watch the series, and haven't finished them.

11. Sesshoumaru from "Inuyasha"

Ah. The villain I loved to hate that turned into a somewhat decent guy. Throughout the series, Inuyasha's half-brother Sesshoumaru was easily one of the most hated guys in the series. I mean, he always treated Inuyasha like crap, simply because Inuyasha was a half-demon while Sesshoumaru was a full demon; however, Sesshoumaru grows to understand Inuyasha's love of humans because Sesshoumaru grows to care for Rin, a human girl who ends up in his care. Guess that goes to show that even the bad guy can have a heart of gold.

10. Zero from "Vampire Knight"

Zero is definitely my favorite character from Vampire Knight. When I started watching the series, I think some people expected me to like Kaname more, but I was always rooting for Yuki's best friend, Zero. I mean, who doesn't want to see best friends fall in love with each other and live happily ever after? The series made me so mad at the end when Yuki chose Kaname over Zero. I mean, what the hell? He's your best friend, and you pick this other guy who barely gave you the time of day until you became a vampire? Screw you, Yuki. I'm team Zero.

9. Natsuno Yuuki from "Shiki"

Natsuno. I hated this guy in the first few episodes. Thankfully, Shiki is a fast-paced, short anime series, and, by episode five, I was actually starting to root for the guy. I had hoped he would make it out this debacle with these vampires completely unscathed...and completely human. Sadly, he doesn't. I'm only on episode sixteen, so I don't know exactly what Natsuno's complete fate is. I still have seven more episodes left in the series, but I'm still rooting for Natsuno.

8. Envy from "Fullmetal Alchemist"

Oh my goodness. Envy. Like Natsuno, I hated this guy from the start. Envy irritated me more than any other Homunculus in the series except perhaps Gluttony. But when Envy died, I was crying like a baby. The fact that Ed completely understood what Envy was envious of completely killed me...and Envy, for that matter.

7. Greed from "Fullmetal Alchemist"

There were two incarnations of Greed throughout the FMA series, but the one I'm completely loving is the second one where both Greed and Lin Yao shared a body. I don't know if it was just because Lin let Greed involuntarily that caused Greed to start changing or if it was just from the second Greed being able to retain the first Greed's memories, but something about the second Greed just made me love Greed more. Greed sacrifices himself, in the end, for the greater good in an effort to help Ed and his friends defeat "Father."

6. L from "Death Note"

L. What more do I have to say? He's insanely smart. He figured out that Light was Kira within a few minutes. He didn't even have to go through the entire process of having to trap him, yet he does so, I suppose in hopes that the murders would just stop. What killed me was when L was killed by Kira after L said something about Light becoming a good friend to him. Light, seriously? Killing your friend? What the hell?

5. Undertaker from "Kuroshitsuji"

Undertaker is hilarious. Finding out that he's the legendary Grim Reaper made the series that much more interesting. And the fact that one of the only people who are able to make him laugh is a demon is great. I always wondered what Sebastian told him...

4. Inuyasha from "Inuyasha"

The title character is definitely my favorite of the series. Inuyasha is willing to sacrifice himself to keep Kagome from getting hurt even though he's not able to save her all the time. Inuyasha's love for Kagome rivals his love for his old lover Kikiyo, who Kagome happens to look like. Talk about your love triangle from hell.

3. Roy Mustang from "Fullmetal Alchemist"

The Flame Alchemist is kind of a jerk at times, but he does what he does for the right reasons. The love he has for Riza Hawkeye keeps him going, even though they don't really acknowledge their feelings for each other until Roy kills Lust and then again during the main battle when Roy is blinded by Truth. Riza is his irreplaceable subordinate, and they continue to not acknowledge their feelings for each other around the army because if they did they wouldn't be able to be subordinates. They would be equals.

2. Sebastian Michaelis from "Kuroshitsuji"

He's just one hell of a butler. Sebastian protects Ciel with his life, mostly because Ciel's soul is his to devour. There are times where viewers can tell that Sebastian actually cares for Ciel (i.e. when Ciel and Elizabeth got into a fight over Ciel's ring, and Sebastian had to intervene before Ciel hit Elizabeth), but most of the time, his protecting of Ciel is just because his soul is promised to Sebastian.

1. Edward Elric from "Fullmetal Alchemist"

My favorite anime character is none other than the Fullmetal Alchemist himself, Edward Elric. What can I say? I can sympathize with Ed on the height issue during most of the series because I'm the oldest but the shortest of all my siblings. The difference between Ed and myself (other than the fact that he's a guy and I'm a girl) is that Ed gets taller throughout the series, but you don't realize until 48 episodes in. I won't get any taller. Ed's biggest asset is his drive to protect those that he cares about and his drive to gain both his and Alphonse's bodies back from the Gate of Truth. In the end, Ed is able to achieve gaining Alphonse's body back as well as his own right arm due to the sacrifice that Al makes in order for Ed to defeat "Father". Ed sacrifices his ability to practice alchemy in his attempt to gain Al back completely from Truth. Also, the way Ed asks Winry to marry him makes me smile and laugh every time I think of it.