My Top 7 "Beach Reads"

My Top 7 "Beach Reads"

Read a book tops anything else.

23
My Top 7 "Beach Reads"

When the world was still normal and we used to go on vacations and such, one of my favorite pass-times was laying on the beach and reading. While some books are meant for school or sitting under a blanket on a snowy day, I've found that nothing compares to the books that are made for reading while you soak in the sun. So I've decided to share my list of "beach reads" with all of you! (these are completely out of order and I would recommend all of them equally.)

1. "Catcher In The Rye," J. D. Salinger

Catcher in the Rye is an overall favorite for much of youth around the world.

A young boy, Holden Caulfield, who has been kicked out of prep school. He tries to work his way through the adult world and we follow him through these couple of days/weeks in his life. Some people say it's a coming of age story, and in a way it is. It goes over the ideas of having to make your own decisions and going through the adult world when you don't think you're an adult yet. It's not very long, and it reads pretty fast, making it a perfect book for laying out on a beach.

2. "It's Kind Of A Funny Story," Ned Vizzini

"It's Kid of a Funny Story" was a book that I had to read for school over my spring break. I ended up reading it on vacation and enjoyed it! Although the underlying idea and the beginning of the plot is a little sad, the story itself is a nice read.

This is another coming of age story where we are introduced to a troubled teen, Craig Gilner. We are taken through a time of his life where he goes through phases of depression, love, stress, and just high school in general. I liked this book because I was able to relate to a lot of the little things that I thought only I was going through. Lots of funny parts and an overall good time.

3. "Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas," Hunter S. Thompson

Now, "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" may be one of the craziest books I've ever read, but I enjoyed it and would recommend it to everyone.

Raoul Duke, and his attorney decided to go on a road-trip to Las Vegas. Their goal: to find the American Dream. Throughout the entire book, they are under the influence of some pretty heavy drugs. Everything from hallucinations and mass failure is described throughout this novel.

After I read it, I decided to watch the movie, with Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro doing an excellent job portraying the two.

4. "The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button," F. Scott Fitzgerald

If you're looking for a very short, light hearted read, "The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button" is exactly what you are looking for. Now, I really can't give any kind of summary without ruining the entire book, but it's quite an interesting concept. But the book is about 100 pages (depending on which edition you buy), so you really have no excuse to see it for yourself.

5. "To All The Boys I've Loved Before," Jenny Han

Ah, the "To All The Boys" series. I personally like the first one the most but feel free to go through all three!

We all know the story of the girl who wrote secret love letters to all of her crushes and how they all got sent to the boys by accident. The story behind it is just as crazy but will satisfy the "rom-com" lover inside of you.

And of course, if you want to watch the movies, the first and second parts of the book series have been turned into movies and are up on Netflix!

6. "Paper Towns," John Green

"Paper Towns" was all the rave when I was in middle school, but honestly, I still really like this story.

A high school boy, Quentin Jacobsen, follows a girl who has gone missing after a night of getting revenge. He has loved this girl his entire life and will do anything for her. The adventure keeps you on your toes as you learn more and more about the secrets, clues, and the life of Quentin Jacobsen.

This read is a bit longer but is definitely worth it, and there's also a movie I recommend you check out!

7. "Diary Of An Oxygen Thief," Anonymous

This book was a little weird but I couldn't put it down.

"Diary of an Oxygen Thief" is a narrative of a man who is constantly breaking women's hearts. You find out why he does this and what his emotions are throughout the entire book.

This is a much shorter read but still a real page turner.