My Summer Away From Home

My Summer Away From Home

From Pennsylvania to Tennessee I go...

2
My Summer Away From Home

It was only a two-hour flight from Philadelphia. I am simply 620 miles from my hometown; just 620 miles separates me from those that I love. That seems minuscule in comparison to others that have joined me in my internship journey.

My family asks if I miss them and it is such an obvious answer, but somehow I do not feel a longing for home itself. I had thought that I would be sick to my stomach and wanting to come home, at least initially, but that is not the case. It may be because of the people I have met and the southern atmosphere, or perhaps it is the adventures we find ourselves in on the weekends. I am able to do and see more here than I would ever be able to if I stayed in my small town for the summer.

Knoxville may not be big either, but it is only a few hours from Nashville, a couple hours from Georgia, and has all sorts of surrounding attractions. Maybe it is because it is a change of pace that I seem to be enjoying it so much.

Not only that, but I know that I am doing this for my future. My internship is going well and I know this is what is going to help me in the long run. Everything that I have done since high school has been with my future in mind. I kind of have been this eyes forward, goal-oriented person. Tennessee is another step in that direction, it was what I wanted and I am happy to be here.

If you ever have the opportunity to leave your state for an internship, I say go for it. Of course you will see things that you would never be able to if you did not and you will have time to learn more about yourself. This experience has already forced me to come out of my shell and make me do things that I did not think that I would be able to do. I had never flown before and I ended up getting on my first flight by myself. It was a terrifying experience, but it is now something that I can say that I did. My summer in Tennessee has only just begun and I cannot wait to see where it takes me.