My Summer At a Summer Camp

My Summer At a Summer Camp

Camp Rockfish

44
My Summer At a Summer Camp
Creative Commons CC0

Why I Chose To Go

It all started when Camp Rockfish camp director, Jim Martin stopped me and my friend in the cafeteria to speak with us. "Have any summer plans"? He asked, excited to see that a couple of college kids stopping to actually listen. And so I went to North Carolina.

I decided it was a fit for me. I love people, I love serving others, and I love God. In all honestly, I felt this was an opportunity to find my path and get closer to God whilst getting younger kids closer as well. Distance was the only problem I had, I left south-central Kentucky for some small town in North Carolina. I was nervous, but I knew that with God I could get over my travel anxiety.

What Is Rockfish?

Camp Rockfish is a Christian based camp and retreat center in Parkton, North Carolina. Kids in grade 2 through 10th are welcome! They have different outdoor activities such as zip lines, and the pool as well as indoor activities like cooking!

Rockfish's mission is to spread the Gospel to young kids who may come from every background. One thing Rockfish is known for is their Operation Purple week; where kids that come from military families get a taste of summer camp life! I had the privilege of getting to work that resident camp that week.

What I Learned

I learned quite a lot about faith and how to speak to people on a spiritual level. I also learned a lot about things that shouldn't go on while working at a camp. First and foremost, do not go with your best friend. It was tough working with a friend that you claim as a "bestie" and I'm pretty sure that goes for any job in that matter, and do not get into or even try to get into relationships such as romantic ones at Camp. It's not worth the pain and confusion you'll have afterwards. Some of the friends I made there and I, had to keep reminding ourselves that I was there for the kids, and God. Not to speak to anyone with intentions of being more than a friend with anyone. But of course, we are human. I also learned that summer camp life isn't always going to go by the schedule. Jim Martin always reminded us that we must be able to go at any time with whatever may be flowing. Nothing is always going to go as planned. The word he used was, flexible. And he was right, you're going to have to be ready to be flexible at a summer camp. And honestly, I had no problem with it! I learned that there's more to faith than claiming Christianity. It's more than a public announcement such as a baptism. It takes effort kind of like a relationship; which is what it is. A relationship with God. It takes commitment as well. Not only those things but one more thing I will mention I learned that kids will be kids.

I would definitely recommend anyone to work at a summer camp! Just be ready to be flexible!