My Story Of Being A United States Marine In Greek Life

913

Greek Life provides us many experiences and opportunities such as a large social network of friends, community service, relationships, or what I considered to be the main experience, the bond of brotherhood or sisterhood. Although I had various interests for joining a fraternity, I knew brotherhood was a big selling point that many fraternities will point out. However, unlike most people that joined, I am already part of the greatest brotherhood in our nation, The United States Marine Corps. Once a Marine, always a Marine. So why would a six year Marine veteran want to join a fraternity and what would my experience be like compared to younger traditional students? 

The Transition Into Greek Life 

I guess it’s the respect that my brothers and everyone else in the Greek community have for my service to our country, which I sincerely do appreciate, that made my transition into Greek Life easier for being a non-traditional student. I can say with confidence that most veterans would not openly tell people that they served or talk about their experiences. Yes, the occasional questions do come up like if I ever killed anyone or did anyone I know died in combat. Surprisingly, there are many members of the community that have, have had, or know someone that is or have served in the military. Even though I don’t know who they are, but almost every service member will not expect a thank you. Still sometimes I feel strange when someone thanks me for my service. Like most veterans will tell you, it’s just what I do. 

Student Veterans

If you did the math, you probably would guess that I should be older than 24 years old. I’m obviously not your typical traditional student fresh out of high school. Before most people knew that I served in the Marines, some thought I was between the age of 20 or 22. You can imagine the look on their faces when I tell them how old I really am. To my surprise, the Greek community at the University of Central Florida has been welcoming for an old guy like me. I’m not sure how many student veterans are in Greek life at UCF or in general, but I did get the chance to talk to two of my friends that are also veterans in Greek Life at UCF. Omar Padilla, brother of Sigma Fraternity, served in the US Army and Arabo Babakhani, brother of Kappa Sigma Fraternity, served in the US Air force. Between all of us, we had different reasons for joining, expectations, and experiences in Greek Life, but all of us agreed that brotherhood in military is very different from the brotherhood in Greek Life.

Military Brotherhood Vs. Fraternity Brotherhood 
Still to this day, I have not experienced any stronger bond and brotherhood than I do with my fellow Marines. If there is one time that I would admit to shedding a tear, it would be the day I received my Eagle, Globe and Anchor and could call myself a US Marine. That day has been one of my most proud moments of my life; but then there was my initiation when I became a proud brother of the Theta Chi Fraternity. I really do care about my brothers in my fraternity and I have done everything within my power to perpetuate its ideals, but there is no comparison to the value and meaning of being a US Marine and the bond that I share with my Marines. The Marine Corps motto, Semper Fidelis, is Latin for “Always Faithful”. I would have taken a bullet or jumped on a grenade to protect the lives of my Marines. In the military, life or death is what makes our bond strong. Sure there are issues and not every Marine is going to like each other, but the difference between the Marines or the military in general and my Fraternity or Greek Life in general is not only a life or death situation, but as well as the high standard and unparalleled commitment that each Marine, Solider, Sailor, and Airmen has to their brothers and sisters in their respective branch. 

Veterans Day 
These few years out of the military gave me time to reflect on my service, and I can say with full sincerity that I have no regrets of joining. The experience that I have gained has truly shaped the person I am today. I went into the Marine Corps not knowing what I got myself into or what will happen to me, but I left the military feeling I could have done more. Many veterans will say that even though that we have completed our military service, we will still continue to serve our community. Service to us is more than just a job, it’s a way of life. Ronald Reagan once said, “Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem.”

Each year on Veterans Day, people remember those who have served our country; but for me, I will always remember what it means to be a US Marine and serving for others and our country.