To My Soul Mate: The Friend I Never Saw Coming

"Sometimes you get lucky and find a soul that grooves with yours"

30
Jenna Hartman

Soulmates have always been an interesting concept to me. The idea that everybody has somebody that they are destined to meet in their lifetime is somehow comforting. However, throughout my long and obviously incredibly knowledgeable life (I'm 18 years old, so I know everything), I've determined that there are so many different kinds of "soulmates" and most importantly, you are definitely one of mine.

I believe that there are more than just your typical fall in love and get married soul mates, although we definitely are in some kind of love. For example, you could be destined to take a certain class with a professor that teaches you something that completely changes your way of thinking. You, my friend, are the soul mate that taught me what absolute and utter trust, love, and respect is, and I can't thank you enough.

Thank you for being not only my best friend but another family. Having an entire second family that is completely willing for you to stay overnight for a week straight and eat their food is not a blessing that everybody has, and I am so grateful to be a part of something like that.

Thank you for always being there for me even when I'm 40+ minutes away, and you have a billion other things to worry about.

Thank you for spoiling me. Whether it's jewelry, rubbing my back, or chicken wings, you always make sure that I have way more than I actually need (cough cough, thanks sugar daddy).

Thank you for never letting me believe that I am worth less (or more) than I am. No matter what the situation may be you are always there to pick me back up, brush the dirt of my shoulders, and remind me who I really am. Similarly, you are also always there to make sure I stay grounded and to knock me out of it when I'm acting too confident for my own good.

Our families get tired of us talking about each other, and all of our mutual friends know that on a regular day basis, odds are that we're together.

The best friendships are the ones that feel like they've been in your life for forever. The friendships that require no effort and the ones you cannot imagine your life without. Well, four years ago you became one of the most important people in my life without me even realizing it, and I wouldn't trade you or our friendship for anything.

We have the type of friendship that makes my grandmother believe that I'm lying when I tell her that we aren't actually dating, even though we do spend 90% of our time together. The type of bond that allows us to instantly know when the other person isn't okay or is trying to hide something. The type of love that will last no matter how old we get or where the world takes us. I'm so lucky that my soul grooves with your soul.

Thank you for being my best friend and thank you for being my soulmate.