When Your Sister Joins The Marines
Military

Little Sister, I Could Not Be Any Prouder Of Your Bright Military Future

You will make an outstanding Marine.

263
Amanda Dill

Dear little sister,

You have just started your senior year of high school, and you already have your life planned out. Yes, you have two different paths decided on, but you already know that you are entering the United States Marine Corps. Whether that be through scholarship or an automatic enlistment, you are going to do amazing.

It is absolutely crazy how time flies.

It feels like just yesterday you were walking into Slidell High as a freshman. Now, you are about to graduate from Camden County High with a super bright future.

I know it may not seem like it with how much we argue, but I really wish I could have been at your first swearing-in. I hope I am able to make it to the next one if you do not receive the scholarship.

No matter what happens over the next couple of months, I know you will make a stellar Marine. After all, you do have the attitude.

Whenever you make it to Basic, it will be difficult, but I know you can persevere through the hard times. It's just 13 weeks. You will make it through, and you will graduate earning the title of U.S. Marine.

So what if you are not accepted for the scholarship? Sure, you will not be an officer. But you will be a higher rank at graduation than some of the other recruits in your unit.

You will always be my little sister. I will always support you.

If you ever need someone to talk to, you can always come to me. I may have to leave class, but I will not mind. If you need me, I will be there for you.

I will do anything for you. You are my only sister, and I love you.

I know you will do just fine. You hold your head high, and you refuse to take injustice. You do your own thing, but come together when it comes to the military.

Your progression from your first day in the Navy Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps (NJROTC) to now has been impressive, and it makes me super proud. I love seeing how much you have grown as a cadet and as a person.

I know this is the right choice for you. You may not be strong at the physical training yet, but I know you will continue to get stronger and make a fantastic poolee.

You have already survived one physical training competition. You will survive the rest. It only takes time.

Whatever you do, just remember to never get discouraged. You may occasionally fall behind, but that is alright. Keep pushing through it. You can survive those 13 weeks.

I promise I will write to you as much as I can while you are away at Basic. It may not be often, but I will try to write as often as I can.

I love you. Never forget that. I could not be any more proud of your decision to join the Marines or your accomplishments so far.

Sincerely,

Your proud older sister