A Review of "La La Land"

A Review of "La La Land"

My review of the film that almost won Best Picture this year at the Academy Awards

11
A Review of "La La Land"
Youtube

After hearing much acclaim about the film during its theatrical release, along with the mistaken win at the Academy Awards, I decided to watch the film "La La Land"as soon as it was released on Blu-Ray. This is a detailed review of the film.

Although the music is well performed throughout the film, some of the vocals and contexts of the songs within the film gave the songs a mediocre performance. “Someone in the Crowd” - Written by Josh Hurwitz, performed by Emma Stone, Callie Hernandez, Sonya Mizuno, and Jessica Roether. The song is the second number in the movies and is sung about someone at a Hollywood party having the ability to open doors for aspiring actors.

Although the song is sung by the character Mia and her roommates, the roommates as background singers provide a better vocal range for most of the number. It is an upbeat song, with percussion and horns played throughout, while Mia and her roommates are dancing from their apartment to the Hollywood mixer in colorful dresses. However, the strongest performance of the song is when Mia is looking at herself in the bathroom mirror when she arrives at the party, singing the chorus of the number.

When she opens with someone in the Crowd will be the one I need to know”, her voice is softened, the lights are dim in the scene, and the music is slowed down to a piano solo of the chorus. The moment set the tone of the scene as Mia desperately wanted to be discovered to become a successful actress, and this is seen in the way she stares directly into the mirror as she sings in a moment of vulnerability.

The movie holds traditional music to a high standard while frowning upon modern trends in music. This is seen when Sebastian decides to join his former rival (played by actor/singer John Legend) jazz fusion band The Messengers. Mia attends one of the performances and is surprised and disappointed by the use of electronics and nontraditional instruments used in the band, including Sebastian’s use of an electric piano.

Although the song was upbeat and had a decent rhythm and sound, it was looked down upon since Mia had grown to appreciate Sebastian’s former love for jazz musicians such as Louis Armstrong and Miles Davis. This also appears when Mia runs into Sebastian for the 3rd time at another Hollywood mixer, where he is performing in an 80’s synth cover band. She teases him by requesting “I ran” by a Flock of Seagulls.

Afterward, he confronted Mia and stated a “real musician” would never want to perform that song. Sebastian’s definition of real music, seen throughout the film, seemed to be jazz artists who were prominent in the ‘20s and ‘30s, whereas Mia was nostalgic for old Hollywood actresses.

However, the main character’s hold to tradition is what seemed to hold them back from their aspirations. Sebastian was nearly broke for a majority of the film, and Mia was continuously auditioning for roles that did not suit her. In this sense, the music performed in the film juxtaposed what was actually in the film, since the nostalgia for traditional was not panning out well for Mia and Sebastian.

It was only when Mia decided to write herself a one-woman show that she found success since it led to a casting director wanted to audition for a lead role, which she landed in. Although Sebastian soon quit The Messengers to pursue his jazz club, it was likely the experience and steady income of the band that eventually allowed him to open his own club.

Although the change from tradition led to the end of Mia and Sebastian’s relationship, it also showed how things change eventually and that nothing could stay the same forever. The music, however, does not reflect this change and keeps traditional jazz and theater music in the movie, even after significant changes occur to the characters towards the end of the film.

There is a scene in the middle of the film when Mia and Sebastian visit the Griffith Observatory at night and go the observatory's planetarium. The ceiling of the planetarium is lit up with a simulated night sky. Sebastian offers Mia, his hand, and the two begin to slowly float into the air and begin to dance in the simulated night sky.

The scene lasts for a couple of minutes, with the music playing as their silhouettes dance through the evening sky. The couple eventually reaches the ground, and the two continue on their way. The scene is surreal, but not exactly an intense sequence within the film. It doesn’t connect with the storyline and nearly seems out of nowhere. It felt like the story and music of the film would have been fine without this added sequence.

Although the film had beautiful cinematography, and some of the tunes were a bit catchy, the film was overall underwhelming. The nostalgia in the movie seemed forced, to the point where it was at time shoved down the audience’s throat.

The dialogue and emotions of the characters, along with what was happening throughout the film did not reflect in the music and therefore left a sense that something was lacking from the film, though I am unsure what it was. Some of the musical numbers felt purposely overdone to give the audience a flashback to the days of 50’s musicals, but it clashed with the modern urban setting of Los Angeles.

Had the film included a bit more of modern pop music and less over the top dance numbers, I may have enjoyed it more. One thing I would have like to seen more musically was numbers similar to Mia’s solo in “Someone in the Crowd.”