My Responsibility to America

My Responsibility to America

My Voice of Democracy Essay

302
My Responsibility to America
Joanne Kim

This year, I had the opportunity to take part in the Voice of Democracy Essay and Audio Contest sponsored by the Veterans of Foreign Wars. When I first submitted my entry, I had not known what to expect. Looking back now, it was perhaps one of the most enriching and special opportunities in my life. For one, I was blessed with several scholarships and had the chance to meet some of the most kind and caring students ever. At the state banquet, I was humbled to sit with students who are making a difference in their schools and communities today and who work hard to contribute to the greater good of society. More than anything, however, I cannot forget the honor and privilege of getting to meet so many of our nation's bravest and most committed veterans. Each veteran I met enveloped me with a warm smile and inspirational words. They reminded me of the importance of the word freedom and instilled in me a stronger sense of patriotism and love for my country. Furthermore, their words encouraged me to strive for my goals and gave me a new perspective on my life. Along the way, I also caught a glimpse into the many sacrifices that our veterans, teachers, elected leaders, firefighters, policemen, mothers, fathers, pastors, and members of my community make for this country. I was astounded by the amount of support and love I received and even more in awe of how blessed I was to call myself an American. With each story that I heard about the horrors of fighting on the front lines of the battlefield, I gained a stronger sense of determination to work harder and become an active citizen and involve myself in my community. I realized, that despite my age, there were no limitations to the things that I could do to make a difference in the world. I would like to personally thank every veteran and active military personnel for their service and for inspiring our nation's future generations to continue protecting and preserving the United States of America and for teaching me that change begins by putting others before yourself.

Below is the essay that I submitted to the contest. Although it does not compare to the essays my friends submitted, I hope that it will at least remind one person to thank a veteran or active duty service man or woman for the sacrifices they have made. Thank you.

My Responsibility to America
America represents different things to different people. This nation has become more than a nation of people; it has transcended as a symbol. To some, it is a symbol of opportunity, freedom, democracy, innovation, equality, or hope. In my view, however, America represents individual sacrifice for the greater good of its people and its ideals.
Just as this country was only made possible through the sacrifices of the early colonists, America is great because of the sacrifices of those who continue to cherish this nation. My responsibility then becomes, to give back all that has been given to me. In this sense, rather than to do what is just best for me, I have to do what is best for this nation. I must sacrifice my own personal endeavors and ambitions for the greater good of my country when it is necessary.
This does not mean that I will not practice my liberties as a citizen, pursue my own happiness, or chase after the opportunities that are given to me. I will continue to work hard in order to reach my potential and achieve the future that I envision. However, there are also times in which those things must take a step back for the greater good. It is not just a civic duty or a responsibility, but a service that I owe to this country.
Our soldiers do not go off to fight with recognition and warm welcomes in mind. They courageously go off to fight in order to protect the rights of all Americans and to preserve this nation as a symbol of goodness and hope. Our teachers do not teach with the belief that their talents will be realized. They teach with the hope that they may inspire and educate our nation’s children. Our policemen, firefighters, elected leaders, doctors, mothers, and fathers will sacrifice their personal happiness for our country when it means contributing to the greater good of society. For freedom is not free, and opportunity must be earned.
Therefore, each personal sacrifice I make will be of choice. For I owe such a service to our founding fathers that risked everything for this country, to our men and women that fought on the battlefield in the name of this nation, to the younger generations that will build our future, and to every American that has ever made a sacrifice for the greater good.
I have realized my responsibility not because I was told it was my duty, but because of the actions of those that came before me. America is great because of the sacrifices that have been made. America is beautiful because our citizens are able to come together and set aside differences for the greater good of this nation. America is the land of opportunity because every individual has worked hard to give everyone the chance to achieve their American dream. America is the land of the free because our veterans fought persistently throughout history for our rights and for this democracy. America is the land of equality because every citizen takes pride in this nation. America is the symbol of hope that there is good in this world. Our country is not only a melting pot of ideas, cultures, and morals, it is a land made up of individual sacrifices for the greater good of humanity.
I was born into a privileged life of freedom and liberty because of so many outstanding sacrifices. Therefore, I will proudly give up my own ambitions when it is necessary to preserve and to protect this country which has given so much to me. This is my responsibility to America.