My Realistic New Year's Resolutions

My Realistic New Year's Resolutions

New year, somewhat better me?

2
My Realistic New Year's Resolutions
terramiaristorante

I've never really been one for New Year's resolutions. You either only commit to them for a week or so, or you forget you even made them. Then suddenly, it's Jan. 14, and you remember you really shouldn't be eating that pizza. Quantitative resolutions themselves can just be plain scary. "I will lose 20 pounds" or "I will work out six times a week." Those just send me running... back to my computer and my Netflix account. This year, however, I've taken it upon myself to make some resolutions that aren't so scary, so maybe I'll actually be able to stick to them:

1. Be More Generous

Buy your friend's dinner. Give a larger tip than you normally do. Do something that will make someone else's day a little bit better. You'll have a better day too just knowing about it.

2. Laugh More

Don't take everything too seriously. Life gets hard when everything seems like a chore, so see the humor in the difficult things. Maybe even crack a joke every once in a while.

3. Clean Up

Something. Anything. Clean your room. Clean your desk. Clean out your closet or your car. You'll have the satisfaction of having it done, and a clear space can really mean a clear head.

4. Try Harder

This can be in school or at work, maybe even in a relationship. Put more hours into studying or make an effort to see someone more. All you can do is try to improve.

5. Take Some Me Time

Give yourself a designated break from society. Take yourself to a movie, read a book, or take a walk. Anything that makes you feel better is worth at least fifteen minutes of your time.

6. Drink More Water

I'll admit this is a more typical resolution, but to me, this is important. You don't have to count how many glasses you drink a day or hold yourself to a number of ounces. Just make a conscious effort to keep more hydrated than you normally do. You'll probably feel better (even if it is just the placebo effect).

7. Be Happier

Or at least try. Take things in a more positive light. Don't get so upset over things that don't matter or people who don't know you. Everything in life is temporary, so try to focus on the good things you have now.

These are my resolutions. They aren't set in stone, which is okay. The goal is to improve, even if it's just a little. To try to come out of 2016 better than you were in 2015. Nothing has to be monumental. We just have to make an effort.