My Quest To Find Meaning

My Quest To Find That One Meaningful Goal That Will Give My Life Purpose

A recollection of my first year in college, and my desire for that life giving vision.

479
Bennett Yoc

My first year in college was one of the most exciting times in my life. Aside from the social activities and meeting such great people; I had a purpose! I was driven to learn as much as possible on the topic of investing. I had such an incredible hunger for knowledge. My room was a reflection of this with books scattered all over my desk with tons of sticky notes coming out of them and the walls had more post-it notes. I stayed up most nights reading, watching YouTube videos, and taking notes on investing. I was so enthralled by the topic that I even watched movies about investing just so I could peer into the world of others that were living what I wanted to know more about.

Although it happened recently I cannot help but feel nostalgic because at that point in my life I had something that consumed a majority of my thoughts and drove me to do most of the things that I did on a daily routine. Most people in life spend lots of time looking for a purpose, a goal, a vision to free them from feelings of frustration, resentment towards whatever, anxiousness, comparison to others, etc.

I want to be consumed again by a vision that will force me to learn, practice and apply it over and over again until I have what I want. Being in that process of learning and applying is so satisfying because you have a reason for your actions and thoughts.
Lately, I have been attending to my many different interests in government, society, the mind, the idea of control, religion, power, online privacy, etc. Although this has been fun I wish to narrow down on one topic again to the point it gives me an idea of what I want to do with my life.

I plan on taking a day to reflect on my life, write goals down, go over them to make sure they are worthwhile, and make sure they relate to what I want out of my life. Currently, I know they must revolve around family, friends, my faith, my mental/physical health, education, and career. Ideally, my profession would be something I find very intellectually stimulating, allows me the flexibility to still be very much a part of my family, and supplies me with enough income so that I can travel, ensure that I have good health, and be financially free. The road that I am on is not solely in pursuit of money, but I mainly want my career to challenge me. To give me times of great happiness, and sometimes lessons in gratitude. Currently, I am studying trading options and I find myself attracted to them for several reasons. I am challenged. They provide me with knowing my maximum profit and loss numbers depending on the strategy I employ. It is more involving mentally which makes the reward that much sweeter.