My Newest, Easiest Television Addiction: 'The Good Wife'

I am very, very late to the game on this one, I know.

53

Over the summer, my mom, besides starting “The Office,” also picked a more serious show to watch in full- “The Good Wife.” Let me note, however, that my mom decided to watch the last five episodes of the entire series before deciding she wanted to watch it from the beginning. So, she knows how the story ends but wants to see how they all got there.

I had never seen the show before, and did not really know what it was about. At first, when my mom started watching it, I did not watch with her, because I did not want to be sucked into another show, especially one that had just ended this past year.

But then, the fateful day came.

I had just gotten home from doing something, probably working, and my mom was watching an episode during the first season. I was so exhausted that I sat down on the couch and figured that I would just pay half-attention to the episode.

Five minutes later, I was at full attention and asking my mom a ridiculously long series of questions in an attempt to get brought up to speed. This show had me immediately hooked.

Maybe it was the name of the show, or the fact that it was too middle-aged-mom mainstream, that caused me to resist watching for so long. The drama, the scandal, the fun of it all- it is so captivating. Not to mention, Julianna Margulies is perfection throughout the show. And Logan (Matt Czuchry) from “Gilmore Girls” as the annoying, complicated junior associate turned slight-enemy, Cary Agos. And a collection of other fantastic characters, including Kalinda Sharma, played by Archie Panjabi.

Even though I am upset to not have watched this show in real time, it is just as exciting to binge-watch after it has taken place. I also think that I have more of an appreciation watching this show now as opposed to when it actually started and took place. Watching it now has made me realize the precedent “The Good Wife” set for television and how revolutionary it was. As far as I can tell, “The Good Wife” is the spark that ignited the bad-a**, female-fronted, legal/professional scandal drama genre that everyone has come to love today. “The Good Wife” premiered before “Scandal,” “How To Get Away With Murder,” and all shows of the like. Julianna Margulies as Alicia Florrick proves to television that a woman is not defined by her husband, even if that is how the show starts/seems at times.

Alicia learns to love going back to work and finds who she is as a person: a fantastic defense attorney. Sure, she battles a bunch of other things involving her husband and an undeniable romance with one of her bosses, Will Gardner, but overall the show is about Alicia rising above everything life has recently thrown at her. Alicia learns that she has control over her life and takes control over every situation sent her way- something I love about this deeply-feminist television show, which no one would think with the name “The Good Wife.”

So, this summer I got hooked to watching “The Good Wife.” With this show, it's better to watch it late than never, and I highly encourage everyone who has not watched it to watch it.