Why My Mother Is My Person

I’ve had best friends. I’ve had girls in my classes that I thought I could tell anything and everything to. There have been times when I have believed that I had the best friends in the entire world. But things change.

Those people that you grew up believing were your best friends do not always last.

They move away, they break your heart, and they simply disappear from your life.

A lot of us get stabbed in the back by those who we thought would never be anything but our shoulder to cry on.

Through all of these temporary “best friends,” there has been one person whose shoulder I have always been able to cry on.

My mother is my best friend, and I’m proud to say it.

I have never understood the notion that friendships end when jealousy interferes. When good things happen in your life, your friends are supposed to be the ones who are there to celebrate with you. No one should have to wish that good things didn’t happen to them so that their friends would still want to be around them. Friends should be there for you when bad things come your way as well. They should not look at your failures as successes of their own.

Sometimes though, you cannot avoid this; it becomes a part of your life.

When this is the type of experience you have growing up, it is not the end of the world. As alone as I felt at times, I was still never truly alone. My mom has always been there. She celebrates the ups and takes care of the downs. Having such a loving and caring mother has taught me that no matter how difficult life can be, I always have someone who will be there for me. We all fight with our moms, but our fights generally don’t escalate to a point of no return.

We are all innately bonded to our mothers, and this is what makes them the greatest best friends.

After I have had a long day, it is my mother that I want to talk to about it. When something good happens, she is the first person I call. When I don’t know how to handle a situation, my mom’s advice helps me find direction. Her voice is the one thing that can make everything in the world seem OK.

What more can you ask for in a best friend?

Maybe it isn’t typical to think of my mom as my true best friend. Maybe it is strange to give up on the idea of a “typical” best-friendship of contemporaries, but maybe I’m not typical, and maybe that’s OK. I have friends. I get along with people, but I know it is OK to rely on my mom. If you have found a contemporary friendship that has surpassed the struggles of time, then that is certainly OK, and you are lucky to have found it.

This circumstance doesn’t fit into everyone’s lives, though. I have come to the realization that I could never have a closer friendship with someone than that which I have with my mother, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Never get caught up in the idea that there is something wrong with you if you make friends differently than other people. Never think that you are alone just because one friendship doesn’t work out.

We all have our person. Sometimes it takes a while to find them, but we all do, even when the person we find is the one who has been there since day one.

Loading video...