8 Things To My Mom On Mother's Day, As Told By "Friends"

You are always (nine times out of ten) right.

303
Caitlin Powers

Since Mother's Day is upon us, I thought I'd do a little tribute to my wonderful mother with reverence to our favorite television show.

Although my mom isn't able to recite "Parks and Recreation" quotes off the top of her head like I am, "Friends" will definitely be one that she can pick up without hesitation. Our favorite show to watch together is "Friends", and if I sat and told you that we hadn't watched the entire series together at least four times, I would be lying. I might not be able to name her all-time favorite episode, but I know I have her favorite scenes popped in somewhere.

Happy Mother's Day, Mom, as told by our favorite show.

1. Mom dropping me off at college for the very first time.

When my mom dropped me off last June, neither she nor I knew what to expect. We would later find out that it was a lot of late nights, cramming, FaceTime calls, and texts about my professor being a wackjob. She hugged me tight enough for my eyes to pop out as she was getting ready to leave that very first night. Although that isn't necessarily the "coolest" way to be sent off into your first semester of college, I'll take my mom's hugs like that any day.

2. Mom after her annual One-Night-Out with her best friend when we go to New Jersey for the summer.

When my family and I travel back home to New York/New Jersey over the summer, my mom and her best friend (and her best friend's daughter since she's been legal) have a night out without any kids and get to drink and socialize as they please. When my mom and her best friend get home those nights, they are the funniest women you will ever meet in your entire life. Those are always my favorite summer nights.

3. Mom when she knows I'm right but won't admit it.

Mothers are not quick to admit when they're wrong. Anyone could tell you that. My favorite is when I know I did something right and then I get to show her, and she has to admit that I, in fact, did know what I was talking about. Oh yes, the sweet satisfaction. Now, I'm wrong nine out of ten times, but that one time? It's the very best.

4. Mom when my best friend and I are teasing and making jokes that she doesn't think are too funny.

I will take responsibility for this – my best friend and I taking jokes too far or not quitting when our mothers say we should have. But, my mom is the very best to play along. When my best friend and I would make jokes that aren't necessarily the funniest to the general public, like say, when we would say how we could be doing "much worse" than laying around and watching "Law and Order: SVU" all day, my mom would always be a great sport and follow along with a friendly, "Would you two stop being so obnoxious?" or "I'm going to put my foot in your ass."

5. Mom when I wouldn't do my homework over my allotted break from school and then would cram to finish assignments/exams a day before.

We all have done that with our parents. We suddenly have an assignment due the day they have elaborate plans to spend time together even though you have been home from school for nearly a month. We all know what I'm talking about.

6. Mom when I had to find a new television stand for my apartment and we had to bring it in through the tiny doors.

When in doubt, call Mom. We had bought a flimsy television stand for my apartment and it was nearly toppling over, so my mother, being the superhero that she is, brought an old stand from home, but trying to fit that furniture in my tiny bedroom seemed like the "Pivot" episode all over again.

7. Mom's idea of how she needs to look when we come back from vacation over the summer.

When we're home, we don't have time to go to the beach and tan like everyone thinks we do as people who live in Florida. Actually, it's disgusting trying to go to the beach here. With the humidity and rain and sand, it isn't the easiest trip. But, when we go home for the summer? When we take a vacation back to the Jersey Shore? Beach has my mom's name written all over it. Her favorite place to be, I would think. She is there nearly every day.

I'm not going to lie, either, she probably is than tan when we come back afterward.

8. Mom when I try to have her pity me for something that I caused on my own.

We all do it. We want our moms to say it's going to be okay and hug us and tell us that it's not our fault, even though it definitely is. When something like that happens, I like to call my mom a realist, because she hugs me, and then tells me that I was being stupid – and, she is (again) nine times out of ten, right.

Happy Mother's Day, Mom!