My Mom And Me: Best Friends For Life

My Mom And Me: Best Friends For Life

All of my close friends understand why.
414

Growing up I had so many friends come in and out of my life. Many of whom, never looked back at the friendship we shared.

Every time a friendship came to an end, my mom always told me that this is what happens in life, people grow up and they change. This was just something I had to accept.

As I went off to college and moved 1,500 miles away, I left loads of friends behind. Only about four of them still speak to me. And I get it, we all moved on to the rest of our lives.

Three years later and my main group of friends has become very small. I have a few friends at college, but I only have one friend that I talk to every single day and only one friend that does everything with me.

That friend is my mom.

My mom has been my best friend since before I was born, however, I never realized nor appreciated it until college.

Growing up I always read or heard people saying, that once you move away to college your mom will become your best friend. And it is so true.

Everything in our lives changed at once, college, divorce, moving, death, even jobs. But together, our family made it through. I feel that because of all these changes, our friendship was able to grow.

I'll always have the memories we made together, like driving cross country with her at Christmas, doing it a year later to move, going on a cruise, living in a single bedroom apartment with her and my sister.

Our lives may have changed but they have only gotten better. They are filled with more love and more laughter, more road rage and a lot of bad words.

People ask me what I did over the weekend or over break, and my answer is always, "I worked and then I hung out with my mom".

All of my close friends understand why. They have always found my mom to be fun, loud, and the best person to drive a get-away car. She's not just my mom but their second mom as well. As a kid, I did not see what they saw and I was foolish.

My mom is more than just my friend, but my best friend for life.