To My Little Brother As He Graduates High School, Big Things Are On The Way

This is only the beginning of the awesome life you're going to live.

293
Casey Cowart

To my little brother:

Wow, I can't believe you're already here. It seems like only yesterday that I was standing in your shoes, sad to be leaving my high school friends, but excited for the next chapter of my life to unfold. Watching you excel in high school has been amazing to watch. You do it all, kid! You played basketball, golf, soccer, ran track and of course, played football.

You did the morning announcements every morning, took and aced all AP and honors classes, were a member of the mock trial team and national honor society. You received the principal's honor athlete award, as well as perfect attendance every year. You are well liked by everyone you have an awesome group of friends, and people light up when they hear your name. All in all, I think it's safe to say, you made high school your bitch.

As your older sister, I have been there and done that. I know you don't really like listening to my advice, just like I didn't like listening to our older brothers' advice when I was your age. However, hindsight is 20/20, and I quickly learned that they had actually given me some pretty good pointers on navigating this crazy new part of my life. So, like it or not, here are the things I want you to know before you walk across that stage.

Don't forget your high school friends.

You're going to school on a football scholarship at a very prestigious school in Memphis, which is almost 8 hours away from your hometown. You're absolutely going to make new friends, but that doesn't mean you have to drop your old ones. Your "squad" (your words, not mine..*cringe*) has been there for you through so much, and they're really good guys. Keep them around...just trust me on this one.

Don't spend all of your graduation money on stupid things

Those graduation cards that mom and dad made you send out have paid off, haven't they? Family members and friends have been more than generous, and all their gifts have really added up. You have all this cash in your pocket, it's your last summer at home with the boys before college, and you want to go out with a bang. You're going to have to trust me on this one too buddy...save it. When you get to college, you're quickly going to learn that having extra spending money is essential. You're going to want to go out, you're going to want to take girls out, and most importantly, you're going to want Chick-Fil-A. Like A LOT of Chick-Fil-A. So put that money away, rely on mom and dad this summer, and save it all for a rainy day full of chicken minis.

Call your mom

I know it isn't cool, and your boys might laugh at you, but I promise you, they're calling their mom's almost every day too. Mom is taking this really hard. You're her baby, and you're going to school hundreds of miles away. You might not believe me right now, but trust me when I say, it will lift your spirits to call her as well. She's no longer going to be there to cook for you every day, to give you money when you need it, or to do your laundry. You're on your own now! While the freedom is nice, the constant nurturing that only mom can give is nicer. So try to find a few minutes each week to give her a call, and remind her that you're still her baby boy.

Trust your gut

Believe me when I say there are going to be so many temptations in college. Girls, parties, drugs, parties, alcohol and did I mention parties? While I am all for going a little crazy every now and then, keep your head on straight, and don't do anything you have to question. There are so many memories to be made in college, but also so many mistakes to be made too. You're a smart kid, and you have a lot going for you. You've seen firsthand the repercussions of the mistakes I've made, so don't repeat them. If you ever aren't sure, trust your gut.

It's OK to take detours

This is the number one piece of advice that I wish someone had told me. After graduating high school, everyone's paths are different. Do not get caught up and stressed thinking that you have to finish college in 4 years, or that you can't take a year off, or that you can't transfer schools. All those things are absolutely okay. And remember, this is your life, no one else's. At the end of the day, you just have to do what's best for you. Please, always remember that.

Be confident in yourself

I know you're coming off your senior year of high school. You're the top dog, the big man on campus. You're so cool. Well, newsflash, all that will change when you get to college. You'll be a freshman again, right back at the very bottom of the totem pole. You might get bossed around, or treated unfairly because you're a freshman, and that's just part of it. You just have to remember to not let it get to you. You're awesome the way you are. Love yourself, and others will catch that vibe and love you too.

I honestly cold go on and on with things that you need to know before you graduate and head off to college, but I have to let you make your own mistakes. Mistakes make the best lessons in life. I'm going to miss you so much when you leave for college, but I am so proud of you and excited to watch this next journey in your life. This is only the beginning of the awesome life you're going to live...so go live it.

Congratulations again, to you and everyone else in the class of 2018.

Love,

Your Big Sister