To The Guy Best Friend Who's Been There All Along The Way

From 2001 to 2017.

312
Laura Brusati

I do not know where to begin with this article.

There is so much I could write about when it comes to my guy best friend. So many memories, laughs, jokes, talks, scenarios, etc.

But I guess I will try to start at the beginning. I’ve known him since I was five years old. We met in kindergarten (he was and still is the best when it comes to coloring) and I often looked forward to the days when my mom would get a call from his mom about setting up play dates. We played all kinds of things (mainly involving superheroes). Spider Man was our favorite. Then one day, he threw a screwdriver at my head.

Yeah, I know what you are thinking.

Do not ask me what gave him the urge to do that, but he did (he is a lot less violent than he was back in the day). We were just sitting in his basement and BAM! I got hit in the head with a screwdriver. Our friendship was a little rocky after that (lol). We didn’t hang out much and we soon reached the age where we were scared/grossed out by the opposite sex and decided to focus on other friends. Honestly, that gap between kindergarten and middle school/high school was a pretty lonely gap without him as my friend, even if I did not realize it at the time.

So I would like to take this time to appreciate my guy best friend and all that he has done/continues to do. He is always looking out for me. I mean all the time. He may not always be obvious about it, but I know he wants to hear about my life and he is constantly there to tell me the blunt truth about a person or situation. He cares so much about my life decisions. I trust him with my life. I feel 100% comfortable going anywhere with him because I know he would never let anything happen to me.

Not just me, but any girl.

It seems like he is always there for anyone who needs help and that is hard to find nowadays. He is like a third brother to me. It was hard not to have that sense of security and protection at MIZZOU when my brothers were no longer there, but I immediately felt comfort when I remembered that he is there with me. I am so thankful that I am able to feel this way even when I am away from my brothers. I know that if I were ever in trouble, I could call him and he would find a way to help me. He will always be there. He’s someone I can sit down with and talk to for hours about random topics or extremely serious topics. We are both honest with each other and we aren’t afraid to say what is on our minds.

I don’t know what I would do or where I would be without my guy best friend.

We have been through a lot but I am so grateful for how this friendship has grown. It is truly a blessing to have yet another guy that I can go to for advice (or a good laugh) and know that he has my best interests at heart. The things I have said about him so far are not even half the things I could say and this article does not do him justice. I could write a book on all the great, amazing times we have experienced. I could go on and on about how trustworthy he is, how funny he is, how kind and thoughtful he is, how amazing his family is, etc., but I won’t for the sake of time and length.

Anyway, Joey (or Joe if you want to use his "cool new college name"), I hope you know how much I appreciate all that you have done for me. It is not easy to find good guy friends that you can be real with. Good guy friends that will be authentic and always look out for you. But somehow I lucked out. I am so grateful for the fifteen years I have known you. And I thank God every day that one screwdriver incident did not stop us from becoming best friends. Love ya, brother.