My Grown Up Christmas Epiphany

My Grown Up Christmas Epiphany

22
My Grown Up Christmas Epiphany

It's Nov. 1st when I'm walking around the mall. Red and green streamers cluttered the ceiling. Cheap ornaments were scattered all across a larger than life Christmas tree.Crowds of people are shoved to the side as others squeezed their way into the store's doors. The words "Holiday Deals" and "Gifts For Him and Her" are picketed outside every store and that's when it hit me. What the heck are we celebrating?

Are we celebrating all the incredible deals we are getting on our inlaws' gifts? Are we celebrating the season of mashed potatoes and honey smoked ham? Are we celebrating the holiday drinks at Starbucks?

Christmas has become a business.

And it's sad to see everyone take part in this "tradition". If you're Christian, Christmas is supposed to be about the birth of Jesus Christ. And, if we're going the secular route, it's about appreciating the life we were given. So tell me what is "Christmas" about sprinting around the mall and snagging the best deals you can find for your distant relatives that you only see once a year?

I remember when I was younger, I loved Christmas music. My favorite song was "Rocking Around the Christmas Tree". Now? " My Grown Up Christmas List". I have never related so much to a song. I think when we grow up, the Christmas "magic" doesn't disappear. Rather, we realize that we wasted time finding gifts for our family when we should be WITH our family. Those toys and stockings become dollar bills and debt. Our hands are full grabbing the newest electronics off the shelves when they should be embracing our loved ones. Do you even remember who gave you what for Christmas last year? Because I can't and I'm pretty ashamed of that fact but I'm more so frightened that gift giving has become so mundane that we are able to forget who gave us what.

Rather than absentmindedly buying presents in bulk and deciding which present is for whom with categories as generic as gender and age, give something individualized just for them. Give them a letter.

A letter forces you to dig deeper than "gifts for him" and "gifts for her". Tell them how you love their homemade fudge they make for your birthday every year or thank them for that time you got a flat tire and they ran out of their interview to help you. Trust me it's much more likely they'll remember who wrote them a letter than someone who gifted a Bath and Body Works gift card.

This year, in light of my grown up Christmas epiphany, I want to write a letter to every person that has positively impacted my life in 2016. To the teachers that inspire me to do my best to the friends I know I can always count on. I hope you join me and grab a pen (or a computer).