My Greek Letters Do Not Define Who I Am

My Greek Letters Do Not Define Who I Am

I am looked down upon by many because of the letters I choose to wear

26
My Greek Letters Do Not Define Who I Am
Twitter

Wearing Greek letters makes me a part of a common misconception. A misconception that labels me a party-girl, a person who “buys” their friends, and someone who only cares about their organization. I am looked down upon by many because of the letters I choose to wear. Wearing Greek letters does not make me a part of any of these categories. My Greek letters do not define who I am.

I am a person who chose to go to college and someone who made a choice to take on opportunities that presented themselves to me. Greek life was one of the many opportunities that I came across, and so I decided to give it a chance. Being a part of Greek life you learn so many things about yourself, your fellow members, scholarships, philanthropy, and other organizations. Why not take on an opportunity to meet some new friends and be a part of something that is bigger than myself? I promised I would not let the Greek letters I wear define me.

I am still my own person. No one can tell me what I can or cannot do. Being a part of an organization, there are rules you have to follow. Not the rules under the misconception category that we who wear letters face everyday, but the rules that make me realize I want to better myself. Rules such as watching your social media because potential jobs one day might see it. Rules such as never talk bad about another organization or anyone for that matter. Rules that you think you live by, but need to be reminded every once in awhile to follow them to better yourself. Wearing these letters are a constant reminder of the rules I want to live by to better myself and help those around me.

Wearing my letters, I am constantly told that I “buy” my friends. Well if I were to participate in a sport that costs money I guess I would be buying my friends also. But you know what, I would do both in a heartbeat to meet some interesting people that I may have never met not being in an organization. The forever friendships I know would not have happened if I chose not to wear my Greek letters. Of course there are many ways to make friends, but thanks to Greek life I have friends that join me in obtaining one goal. To better ourselves, our community, and all people around us.

I will never let the Greek letters I wear define who I am. But I will, however, let the Greek letters I wear be a constant reminder that I am here not for myself but for others. Whether it's loving my chapter or being a part of a philanthropy close to my heart. I will wear my letters proudly, but I will always know they will not define who I am.