To My Forever Friend

To My Forever Friend

Friends are close. Cousins are even closer.

162
To My Forever Friend
Sydney Friedman

How do I even begin? For those of you who know Jenny understand the excitement she brings into a room. She is one of the most sensitive, kind-hearted people I know, which makes her sarcastic personality even more fun to be around. I can sit with her in silence for hours on end and have the best time of my life. I had a few things written before summer started and I decided to scratch that and write something else. It is so hard to write an article about someone you love so dearly, it's hard to do a relationship justice. So here's a letter for you, JennyFer Cohn, you deserve to know how great and important you are (if you don't already).

Jenny,

Thank you. Thank you for always being there for me and showing me what true friendship is all about. We have gone through so much and have always remained constant. Even if we don't talk for a while and our lives take us a part for a little bit, we always pick up like no time has passed. I am beyond blessed that this summer we were able to spend basically every single day together. When you left on vacation, it felt like an eternity. We honestly should have gone to college together.

At five years old you Drew, and I met (you say we had preschool together but drew and I were whiny babies, so I don’t remember) What I do remember from preschool is staying after school and baking cookies…Are you shocked about that one? I mean think about the last two words in that sentence.

Anyway, in first grade, something so sad ended up uncovering one of our greatest discoveries, the fact that we are actually cousins.

From then on out we introduced each other as best friends “but we're also cousins” to make other people jealous. Fast forward 15+ years later and here we are, still unable to get away from each other.

We’ve gone through many different groups of friends over the years, but you are one of just a few who have stuck. This summer has been one for the books. I was heartbroken leaving you and JackCohn (for those who don’t know, who should get in the know, JackCohn is Jenny’s dog and Jovi -my dog’s- brother). This summer I discovered a whole new meaning of friendship, something I thought I had already learned before. I had you to count on every single day.

When there was a time span of 24 hours or more where we didn’t see each other, it felt like something was missing. It was impossible for us to get sick of each other, something so rare..especially because I hate everyone and I have a fancy pillow to prove it.

There is no one else who can truly complement Drew and me at the exact same time, which is something so incredibly unique. Blood is thicker than water, and our personalities together are thicker than any bullshit that comes our way; meaning we’re stuck with each other forever. I look at a few of my friends and see how many other friends they’ve accumulated over the years.To my enjoyment—I only have a few (I hate people, remember?). And, in my opinion, that is the better option.

I have a few best friends who deal with my crazy (I have a bullshit tolerance level of -10), and I’m okay if you call me out on it. You are the Drew and Sydney (and even Alex), mediator. You comfort us when we need it most, and you’re always right around the corner..literally. When you cried driving to our house at the end of the summer, I cried when you left it. I have no idea what I would have done without you by my side these past few months. Thank you for being my partner in crime and keeping me company

Thank you for the Shu Hei runs and the late night stoop meetings. You keep me sane and most importantly, in check. There is no one else in the world other than my family who I would allow to snap at me for my dumb shit.

I love you to Vegas and Rome and back a million times over. I can’t wait to spend, judge and discuss the rest of my life with you and the rest of yours with me until we’re old and gray, living side by side in a nursing home together while talking shit about everyone else in it.