My First Week of Spring Semester: Freshman Edition

I made it mom!

2
Huffington Post

Among many other college students, I have officially started my second semester of my freshman year. Honestly, college has gone by so fast for me, it is actually unreal. I've heard a lot of mixed opinions from college students and their freshman year. However, each opinion had one thing in common: it flies by. I have come to that realization.

I received four syllabuses and I think I'm putting myself through social suicide. Outside of work and school, I will probably have no life this semester, in all honesty. My first semester was a breeze. I walked away with a 3.8 and all things were beautiful. However, I KNOW for a fact that this semester is going to be more challenging for me.

Here is my personal advice on how to survive your semester.

Kiss butt. How to kiss butt you may ask? When you leave class, simply give your professor a "have a great day!" or "I love that pant suit Dr. Dingles!"; your professor will be so warm and fuzzy inside. You learn this trick really early in college life usually, and depending on the professor, it works. This includes taking advantage of office hours; your professors WANT to know you (at least at Greensboro College they do).

Actually do your work and get your crap done. If you do not turn in your work, your professor will see you as one of the biggest pains in the butt and you'll understandably get a bad grade. It doesn't take anyone with a PhD to figure out that equation. Student doesn't do work = student doesn't get a good grade. So please, do your work. No matter how complicated it is, do it. If it is too hard, email your professor. They want you to ask questions. How can they help you if you don't ask? This goes back to taking advantage of office hours.

Study, study, study. This is a given. Got a big test tomorrow and your BFF invites you to a movie? Study for that test. Grades are forever and you can see that movie when it comes out in Redbox. Your friend will understand, and if she doesn't, she wasn't a true friend anyways so forget her ;)

I hope that my quick tips were helpful and that you all consider following them. These three things have helped me get to the point that I am at now!