My First Flight Alone Was A Huge Success, And Here Is Why

Continuation of my Spring Break '19 storyline.

40
https://www.pexels.com/photo/clouds-flight-flying-plane-6881/

If you've been keeping up with my recent updates regarding my plans for my first college spring break, you would know that I recently took my first flight by myself. Now, I've been struggling with anxiety for over eight years and many people thought that this trip would be impossible for me to actually do considering my mentalities.

However, I was able to prove them wrong on Saturday, March 2, 2019.

Getting checked in was no problem. I made sure that my bags were able to be transferred VIA plane without having any issues—however, United had an issue with their systems so it took about twice as long as it should have to get through everything. However, we were all able to have our bags checked without paying the $30.00 fee since the systems were down and they couldn't check anybody in.

I wasn't sure how I was going to react, so I tried to stay as close to my dad as I could until he had me go through the TSA line. TSA wasn't really as confusing as I was expecting it to be, but I hated it nonetheless. I didn't have my items separated properly, so I had to help the guy that was checking everything. I got through the line just fine, grabbing my things as quickly as I could before sitting down by myself in one of the chairs of the waiting area. My dad continued to text me throughout the entire waiting period so that I wouldn't be alone, making jokes about how my parents would both need a drink after I left.

Eventually, my boarding group number (four) was called, and I had to go stand in the line in order to get on the plane by myself. I started panicking a little bit due to the fact that I didn't know how a plane worked. I scanned my code and the lady standing there let me board the plane. As I got on, I noticed that a girl was sitting in the seat that I was supposed to be in, so I offered to take the seat that she was supposed to be in.

Taking off was a little panic-inducing since I hadn't experienced it before, but the flight itself was easy and smooth as soon as we actually got into the air. I opened the sliding cover to the window and watched the scenery from above. Since I had an early flight (6:30 a.m.), I was able to see the beautiful colors reflecting off of the clouds. The sunlight was giving the clouds shades of pink, yellow, and orange as it shone through the water droplets.

Eventually, I had to get off of the first plane and board the second plane. I didn't have a very long layover, so I nearly boarded immediately after I found the gate that I was supposed to board at. The second plane was easier to go through since I had already been through one before, but I wasn't prepared for the drama that ensued after boarding. People decided to take pictures of the pilots, resulting in their phones getting confiscated for the entire 90-minute flight.

Some people, am I right?