I Traveled Abroad Alone For The First Time, Missed My Flight And Literally Nothing Went As Planned

But I managed.

803
Dana Joy Seigelstein

While I am in Florence living my best life studying (besides becoming a wine connoisseur and getting Italian boys to buy me plates of spaghetti every day), I have been traveling. I had Budapest planned with some of my closest friends; flying in from Berlin, Tel Aviv and Barcelona. It was the night before I was supposed to leave for my first weekend traveling alone and my friend from home was visiting Florence with his buddies. We went out to a lovely dinner filled with class and Chianti and to hit da clubs (just a bar).

Before this next part is told, I'm a freaking responsible person. I stayed out a bit too late (my taxi was picking me up at 3:45 a.m. for my 6:30 a.m. flight) and hit the pillow too hard when I went to bed. I woke up excited for some goulash only to see that it was 6:48. I thought to myself — that's weird? Because I set my alarms and my flight was at 6:30 so there was no way I missed it.

SIKE I missed it and was running around my apartment sweating and screaming.

I Facetimed my friend Mia who was about to leave for her flight (we get it, Mia, you woke up for your flight and didn't ruin your entire weekend). Seriously, some people just can't drop things. She told me it was OK but I really messed up. Get yourself a best friend that tells you that you are an idiot but that it's not the end of the world.

Good thing there is a six-hour time difference so my mom wouldn't pick up in my state of panic. My dad did though in which he told me he was disappointed but to get over it and "I hope I learned my lesson." No dad, I am going to miss all of my flights — it gets my heart rate up.

My mom called me at 1 confused as to how this happened (I don't know mom, you raised an imbecile) but she was more so upset for me. She knew how much I was looking forward to this and how great the people were that I was meeting and encouraged me to get a new flight. I sprinted back to my apartment, talked to ANWAR (bae) from Lufthansa and got a 6 o'clock flight — supposed to get in at 11:10 on Friday, perfect.

It was a connecting flight, but I got to the airport three hours early so there was no room for slip-ups (as if that would ever happen)! My first flight was delayed 20 minutes. It wasn't a problem though because I had a 50-minute layover. Two minutes later they announce there is a 50-minute delay. I thought to myself, are they kidding this is the rudest thing anyone has ever done to me.

I get on the plane, sit next to an Italian man in a fedora aggressively chewing his nails and panic for a whole hour and a half. We land and I am ready to BOLT to the new gate because I have 20 minutes but SIKE, we have to take a shuttle back to the terminal and THEN I can go to my new gate. I think snails were hired to pose as people because everyone was moving so slow from the plane to the shuttle.

I get to the terminal I have to be in and run for my LIFE. I am heavy breathing sprinting. I have two minutes and can't even see a sign for a gate but I hope that someone heard that a cute Jewish girl was on her way and to wait. Something clearly got lost in translation because by the time I got there no one was there — not even the help desk. I called my mom laughing because this is what my life has come to.

I am in Frankfurt and get a hotel voucher from the OPEN service desk. They tell me they will give me dinner there and breakfast I am pumped because I love free stuff.

I arrive and they hand be a boxed dinner with a Capri Sun, milk and a sandwich with a slice of bologna and cheese on it. I was HUNGRY (not in Hungary, though) and was not eating that nasty thang so devoured the mini bar instead. Chips, chocolate, drinks (non-alcoholic, I had an early flight dammit!) and bars.

I was not aware that they charge you for whatever you take from the bar. I didn't read the fine print nor will I ever.

The next morning the man asked me if I ate anything from the mini bar. I politely showed him the nuts I took and paid with euros. Not a trace of me was left behind in Frankfurt so hopefully, the cops don't call. I was excited about this breakfast because I haven't had a hot meal in 24 hours (cry for me). It was a plate of croissants with Nutella packets. I deserved this shitty, crusty breakfast. I treated myself to a salty spittoon pretzel at 6 in the morning at the airport bar.

All in all, I ended up making it, having the best 27 hours with my best friends and I wouldn't have given it up for anything. Also, a thank you to my mom for convincing me to get a new ticket and that this is a once in a lifetime thing — because it is. I am so thankful that it all worked out and that I was able to have time with them. This feels like a bat mitzvah speech at this point. Thank you to my Rabbi for helping me with my prayers.

This is actually the ugliest photo of each individual person I have ever seen except for Emma — she looks cute. Now Mia will probably be offended that I said that so, Mia, it isn't THAT bad of a photo of you. Here comes Matt saying "Dana, I actually don't look that bad my fur coat is showing and my hair looks good like that" and lastly Jared comes in with "Sheeeesh" because he agrees with me and we are on the same wavelength.