My Fear Of Loneliness

My Fear Of Loneliness

My personal testimony on loneliness and how it strengthened me.

14
My Fear Of Loneliness
unsplash

I have always been the kind of person that gets extremely lonely way too quickly.

Through my years of being "socially needy," there were very few, if any, things I did alone. Some days at my university, I would even skip lunch because I didn't want to eat alone. I wouldn't pump gas, go into the store, or even walk into church alone.

Today, I am proud to say that I am sitting in a secluded corner of our Student Union on campus, eating Chick-fil-a and writing this article.

I've learned to accept, love, and desire my alone time. I thought all these years I had been doing myself a favor by surrounding myself in social atmospheres and interacting with my peers. In reality, I'd only been hurting myself. While smothering myself with company all the time, I had deprived myself of alone time with God. The only time I was alone was at night when I was at home doing homework. Even then, I may have a friend over or be on the phone to avoid my loneliness that crept up so quickly.

I'm here to say, being alone is okay.

I hate that it took me so many years to finally let that sink in and mean something to me personally, but I am thankful. I have learned that these moments that God gives us alone are given to us for specific reasons. He doesn't get us alone so that we can chase after people to fill our social void. He separates us from the world so that we can spend time in prayer with Him and studying His Word.

"In nothing be anxious; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God." Philippians 4:6 ASV

I was anxious because I was in fear of being alone and any second. In my moments of loneliness, I slowly learned that God was giving me endless opportunities to ask Him to fill the void in my heart. The void that was my loneliness that chased me, and I ran from it. I had to come to Him, ask Him, and seek His plans.

Getting into the Word and using that time for prayer and studying has done a tremendous work in me spiritually. I have found myself being more confident in the scriptures and more confident in sharing them with people.

You see, the Lord blessed me with a social desire so that I could share His message with people He places in my path. He blessed me with moments of loneliness that I learned to accept, so that I could fill my heart and my mind with the scriptures that He breathed for the purpose of sharing them with the unbelievers. Even though the only thing I could see was my fear of loneliness, He eventually worked His way into my heart, providing me with the things I needed to seek him and later work to further His kingdom.

Being alone is okay.

In your moments of loneliness, seek the Lord and His Word, His will, and His wisdom. Accept the seclusion from your social desires and go to God in prayer. He has big plans for you and your social addiction. Use it for good. Don't deprive yourself.

Being alone is okay.