To The Band I Grew Up With

To The Band I Grew Up With

A tribute to everything the band Paramore has done for music over the years and a thank you for how it's impacted me.

114
To The Band I Grew Up With
Sam Lesser

My favorite band recently started writing their fifth album. I thought this would be the best time to put into words what they have done for me and how much I appreciate it. Paramore has been an anchor and a sense of ground for me from the rhythm and energy that they put into their live shows, to the incredible musical talent that each present and past band member has provided.

July of 2007, I received my very first Apple iPod. I remember going through Apple's music store frantically searching for the right songs to listen to. I came across a song on a video of a song called "Pressure." I was hooked. Angsty teenage me was connected to one song, which led me to try and get anything I could get my hands on that they wrote. Their first album "All We Know is Falling" became a favorite of mine as well. By the time I had discovered them their sophomore album "Riot!" had just come out, I was instantly impressed. It was the fun upbeat angry music that described everything a sixth grader could be going through at the time. The music was like a weird "ah ha!" moment. I felt like it created a way for me to blow off steam but feel inspired and motivated at the same time. I began to really throw myself into music in general. At the time I had just had a minor surgery which left me not able to participate in a lot of activities, and I really got lost in the music because I had the time to and it kept me occupied and excited. I stayed up all night listening to every song.

In late 2009 they released "Brand New Eyes." I know it sounds as generic as possible but Brand New Eyes changed my life. This album was for anyone who needed motivation and courage. The songs all had a theme I related to. I wish I could explain the first time I listened to it from start to finish, but it's something I'll only be able to really remember as a happy memory. But if we're being honest.. it makes me feel spectacular every time.

I finally saw them in concert three times and each time had been an incredible experience. I don't know how they keep up their energy but they're always giving the audience 110 percent. Their concerts were a community. Everyone was involved somehow and everyone knew it. The words and music they wrote connected us in a way we couldn't describe but all mutually understood. Paramore's live performance will leave you wanting to see it all again tomorrow. Their tight sound and crazy stage presences are all a part of Paramore and who they are as people and musicians.

My sophomore year of high school, which was 2012, they released the self-titled album "Paramore." This album was the first album they had put out (other than an amazing single with three amazing songs and a movie single) in almost three years. When I first listened I was completely caught off guard. Their sound was different and I loved it. They had written from their hearts and it showed. Each song had a rhythm you couldn't stop your foot from tapping along to. They had grown as artists and I can't say I didn't feel incredibly proud that I had seen them do this.

In 2014, Paramore had announced "Monumentour," a co-headlining tour with Fall Out Boy. At the time, Paramore had a fan club that they had closed off to the public which allowed access to meet and greets, so meeting them was something that seemed impossible. This tour was different. They opened meet and greets to the public. When the tickets were announced I read the date and thought I would die. It was the same day as graduation day. Immediately I thought my parents wouldn't allow it, but when I got home they surprised me with VIP and I was probably the happiest person on the planet.

Now what happened that night was nothing short of magic. I had graduated high school that morning wearing a Paramore shirt under my gown and my cap was decorated with "We're Just Getting Started" and the Paramore Bars. I immediately rushed to be on time to the meet and greet. It went better than I could've imagined. I wasn't a mess and I didn't get emotional, thank God. My encounter with all three of them was genuine. They congratulated me on my graduation and signed my cap. They smiled and took the nicest photo I have ever laid eyes on.

As the night went on, the first band played and Paramore finally started. I was completely at ease and I didn't feel like I needed to worry about anything. I got lost in the music and the energy was like electricity through my veins. They played everything perfectly. During every one of Paramore's sets, they perform their popular song (rightfully so) "Misery Business." During the bridge they bring someone up to sing along with them. For this date of the tour... it was me. Everything had led up to this moment. I know it sounds cheesy, but I had dreamt about this. The people who inspired me to make music are bringing me up to make music with them in front of everyone I've ever known... on my graduation day. If that didn't scream magic, I don't know what could. Paramore changed my life in under two minutes. When I got off that stage it started something in me. It was the spark. So to wrap up this long "letter"; Thank you, Paramore, for growing with me and being my spark. I hope you know I would not be where I am without you.

I hope that you guys never stop having a passion because this whole band and everything you guys have done has been so important to me and to so many other people. I'm only one person who is better because of the confidence created by your actions and dedication to your music.

You changed my life and I couldn't be more excited to see what's next.