My Fashion Evolution

My Fashion Evolution

The way I dress myself now has helped in ways I can hardly explain; but I attempt to here:

29
My Fashion Evolution
Showlovedress.

When I was in elementary school, fashion was not even a concept that crossed my mind for two seconds. Uniform was the way to go every day, and when I got home I changed into the T-shirt and athletic shorts that my mom could afford from the thrift store.

The idea of mixing and matching and finding my own style was not something I contemplated until I got to middle school, when there was no uniform.

Upon entering sixth grade, my mom got a promotion at her job. My preteen self was so excited about FINE-UH-LEE being able to dress like everyone else. The nearest department stores by my house were Kohls and JCPenny; so I was over the moon about being able to buy clothes other than used T-shirts from camps that I had never even been to.

My lack of experience in the world of fashion had me picking clothes that now make me cringe: buttoned shirts with hoods attached to them (hoods are only meant for jackets; it's not like I would wear the hood anyway-- what a waste of fabric), jeans with the most ridiculous designs on the butt pockets, and God knows what else.

I felt so defeated when I came to school to see brand of clothes that I wore did not match up to everyone else's Aero and Ambercrombie & Fitch. My hooded shirt was nothing in comparison to flared, washed Hollister jeans.

I believed so much that I stuck out like a sore thumb, even though the reality was the opposite-- no one cared.

Since I could not afford these brand names, my fashion reverted to the T-shirts that I so fondly loved in elementary school-- this way no one would notice me and my lack of taste and money.

My sense of style started to a evolve a little bit more as I entered high school. I was tired of being a "tom boy," since that wasn't the look I necessarily wanted to go for; I yearned to discover my femininity a bit more.

I started buying bland, mono-chromatic blouses in the same style. I paired this with blue jeans with my burnt-to-a-crisp hair (my world changed when I discovered the power of a hair straightener), black frames and makeup-less baby face.

I repeatedly struggled with my inner paradoxical battle of wanting to be myself, but not stand out too much.

At this point in my high school career, I still had never worn open toed shoes, a dress, or anything with patterns. I don't know what did it, but I just said screw it and started venturing into the uncharted territory my own desires.

And when I did, I so wished I would had done it sooner. I started to understand myself on a whole level.

I learned that I LOVED wearing dresses-- I had and still do have an affinity for flower pattered dresses. I realized that I did have to submit to one cut of jeans-- that the bell bottom, low-rise jean world wasn't for me.

I learned how to dress for MY body, and to not emulate others who dress for THEIR bodies.

These subtle changes in buying high-waisted jeans, tucking my shirts in my pants, wearing skirts and dresses that cinched in the waist, and monochromatic sandals helped me carry myself in a new and freeing way.

My wardrobe helps me express myself the way that my personality needs it too. It helps me show the world that I can be conservative, adventurous, bold and a little lazy at times (leggings are a blessing).

When I walk to class at my college campus, everyone expresses themselves in such a innovative and diverse way-- and I can now confidently say I am one of those people.

I am one of those people who can express themselves in multiple ways, my fashion being one of those ways. I am one of those people who loves their bodies and I express myself from the inside out.