My Eyes Come From My Father

My Eyes Come From My Father

A telling poem about my father's eyes that stare back at me

32
My Eyes Come From My Father
https://pixabay.com/photos/child-girl-face-eyes-pretty-3473596/

With a foreign tongue you spoke of high dreams and lonely warriors. Of vast seas that follow the moons call and the sand that whipped into shape whenever the ocean asked. You spoke of tall trees with no end, high skies that filled all voids and the quite mind you have always seek in the middle of chaos.

Of ranging storms that brought peace in the middle of it, and darks days that led to ever darker nights. The pounding of bloody knuckles against open wounds, the walls, doors, earth, shaking with fear and rage. Mixed like a concoction of your own doing. You spoke of dreamy days, white ice clouds, laughter that carried the seeds of a flower. You spoke of sailing the seas, conquering the lands, letting me in on what the world could offer, and all her secretes.Of getting lost in poetry, finding a journey worth taking, a connection never to be broken by the most sacred of things.

You forget to bring me.

Dark corners sketched with fear, glass houses filled with small voices and begging whispers.

You spoke with thick liquor, raising voices, raspy tones, you spoke like a snake, slurring, wobbling, slit eyes, ready to attack at any moment. You spoke of promises for the morning after, the stale breath asking for forgiveness when I never knew that this was something of fault. You were held high because you spoke so mighty, I never thought my voice would bring you down.

You spoke new words into the air that had everlasting meaning. I knew they were bad by the way the corners of your mouth would twitch at them. You spoke of your dreams but how dark they were, how your life would never amount to them. You spoke with your hands, grasping at the air until something landed in them. You spoke like you had never heard words before.

Cigarette after cigarette you smoked, trying to get rid of the taste of the vile words you spoke. Glassy eyes, matched your hazy brain. In a trance you sat wondering where you went wrong, wondering why the world did not give you want you thought you deserved.

I wondered in you were real or if it was all just a bad dream. I wondered because fallen angels were suppose to go to Hell, but you stood firmly on the Earth's dirt. You demanded to be noticed and seen.

In the mirror your facial features reflect back at me like a sick joke. I can not laugh at this misfortune because no matter the outcome of this life, I am still apart of you as you are to me. Your eyes held misery and regret while mine held promise and value.