My Experience With Online College

My Experience With Online College

How the Coronavirus flipped my academic life upside down, and why I am okay with it

13
My Experience With Online College

One Lucky Break

On March 17th, I was pulling an all-nighter studying for a huge exam that I had the next day at 2pm. Little did I know that all this studying would amount to nothing.

My university closed due to the Coronavirus on March 18th at 12pm.

I was ecstatic, jumping off the walls, and so relieved that I did not have to take my exam that day. I was exhausted after all, and I needed this lucky break.

Now I am writing this 8 months later, thinking about how I would give anything to be back in a classroom taking exams.

Becoming A Better Student

There is no easy way to take college classes online. There are about a million distractions at home, and being confined to my room all day is not my idea of a good time. There is always something to be done, something to study, or an assignment to turn in.

Professors have not held back just because classes are online.

Though I could go on and on about my seemingly insignificant young adult woes, I'd also like to point out that online school has given me some much needed reflecting time. I get all day to think about the best way to take notes, the best way to solve a problem, and the most efficient way to get my work done.

I have become a better student because of online school.

I do not think I am the only one, either. Online school forces you to keep yourself accountable, it forces you to make mistakes and adapt. Furthermore, it gives you a chance to explore course content beyond what is being taught in the classroom.

Staying Positive

If you are struggling with online school, think about what you can do to make it easier on yourself. Take some time out of the day to make a really good meal or to sip some tea outside. Write your thoughts in a journal or maybe just reach out to a friend. Keep your mind at ease so you can put your best foot forward.

Think about all that you have accomplished, then continue to reach higher.

We are all capable of making it through this weird and stressful time, we just need the right mindset and resources to do so.

I am staying positive because my future depends on it, and so does yours.