My Experience With Flying With An Infant

Totally not what you'd expect

16
Rat Travel

A month ago when I pressed a simple “Purchase Flight Tickets” button on a website and proceeded to click on the “infant under 2” selection, I didn’t know what I was in store for It was my first time flying with my 2 ½-month-old son and I was in complete panic. In movies and television shows all you ever see in scenes that include plane travel are screaming infants and frantic mothers. But what really happens when you fly with a baby on board?

My first flight was exactly a week ago and I found myself traveling to sunny Florida to visit family. That morning I was scrambling and making sure I had everything packed for the baby. When you bring a baby on board the plan, they obviously count as a person so you can bring a diaper bag in addition to your carry-on and personal item!! This is super cool in my opinion because I over-pack SOOO much and being allowed to bring the extra bag for your baby’s things is totally awesome. Also, the liquids rule is non-existent when it comes to baby formula and food. So don’t sweat it if you need to bring a full 8 oz bottle, they will not confiscate it. Now unfortunately for me, I didn’t know this prior so I brought 8 little 2 oz. pre-filled formula bottles in addition to his regular bottles. Now, my son eats A LOT, but it was completely unnecessary to bring all of that formula. Whoops!

I arrived at the airport an hour and a half before my flight so and it turns out I was allowed to check in my stroller and car seat for no additional costs! Also, I didn’t have to check them in until I boarded the plane so that was perfect as well. After following all security procedures, I awaited my flight. I got priority seating so I was able to settle in my seat first with my baby. The best part of my flight was the fact that half of the plane was empty, including the seats next to me. Therefore, I was allowed to take my car seat on as well. My son and I slept through the whole flight. It was one of the most relaxing experiences of my life. The flight attendants were extremely sweet to me and helped me unload my bags. My stroller was already set up for me as I exited the plane and it all felt like a dream.

Unfortunately not all flights are that lovely. (Maybe it was beginners luck?) My flight coming back home wasn’t so great. I missed my flight because I had trouble getting a piece of my car seat out of the rental car, so I had to wait another hour. Going through security was a little more difficult in Florida than it was up here in NY. My son was fussy while waiting to board the plane and of course you get the stares and eye rolls. This flight was also packed so forget about bringing the car seat on board this time. I had to hold him throughout the entirety of the flight. Getting things out of my bag and relaxing was quite difficult. Coming home didn’t seem fun at all after a great week in Florida.

Now the second flight may sound like an absolute nightmare- but there were some positive notes. As I was struggling with five million bags to the check in point and security points , a kind family helped me with my things while I held the baby. The security guards were also kind even though they had to test all 5 of my formula bottles. I had a gentleman sitting next to me on the plane who helped me organize and the flight attendants were the absolute sweetest. Even though it was tougher than my first flight, I gained experience and now I know what to do and what not to do for future reference. One more note: If you have the chance to choose your seat on the plane, never choose the middle. Whether you have a baby or not!

My experience with traveling with an infant thus far shows that you never know what might happen. Good things and bad things occur but regardless you always need to be prepared for anything.

Pictured- My handsome boy on our first amazing flight! (Notice his adorable Pilot's jacket)