My Experience At UAlbany

My Experience At UAlbany

Proud to forever be a Great Dane!

261
My Experience At UAlbany
Mach Architecture

The diversity at the University at Albany caught my attention right away. Then, it was the splashing water from the gorgeous fountain in the middle of the campus. I fell in love but I was also afraid.

In 2004, UAlbany was ranked as the No. 1 party school, according to NBC Whenever someone asked me where I was going and my answer was “The University at Albany,” their eyes widened and their gaping mouth said it all. “Good-luck in that party school,” people would say.

Nonetheless, I was determined to becoming a Great Dane. My transfer orientation was even more striking because we were forced to talk to people and so I met a friend. She was in the same major as me and came from an Ecuadorian family. It was great. Eventually, we kept in touch and on our first day of moving in we met up and decided to explore the nightlife and see if UAlbany kept true to its party name.

It did. I had never been exposed to such a crazy but fun atmosphere that almost felt unreal. The parties took place in dirty and scary looking basements filled with lights and neon glow in the dark paintings on the walls. Everyone was outgoing and there was plenty of beer available. For girls, of course, everything was for free.

Academic wise, some of my classes were too big for me to handle. Also, I was placed in an off-campus dorm closer to the downtown and party life area. I felt distanced to the actual school which discouraged me from becoming involved. Even so, I learned how to take the bus, to wake up earlier, and learned my way around the downtown “student ghetto” as some may call it. My roommate at the time was also very different from me. We came from different parts in New York and at first, it was difficult to get used to living with someone, but we eventually became really good friends.

When I did stay in school to either study or just to hang out with friends, the podium and the fountain area was the place to go. My favorite season was at the beginning of the Fall semester or the end of the Spring semester toward the afternoon because the weather was warm and the lights in the fountain would get turned on. It looks so beautiful. No doubt, the fountain was my favorite hangout spot and also for many others. People would bring their dogs, hookahs, radios, pool floats and games such as frisbees. It was almost like a small party after classes in the middle of the campus.

What amazes me the most about UAlbany is how much people can party and yet get their school work done. The same people I would see at parties drunk out of their minds, I would bump into at the library. I realized this school may be a party school, (although not as crazy as before) but there is definitely room for academics. I learned, although the hard way, that it’s all about balance.

Now that I have graduated I will have to admit that I am going to miss UAlbany, specifically the fountain that since day one caught my attention. I would definitely recommend UAlbany to anyone who is outgoing or wants to break out of their shell. I certainly did. This school is very liberal therefore you can meet people with different perspectives. Just don't be too closed minded.

Thanks to UAlbany I found myself, I let myself loose, I partied hard and graduated with honors. It's not easy but it's also not impossible. I never felt like an outcast and always tried my best to meet new people and learn who they were.

UAlbany is the place to go if you want to be challenged in your academics but also want to have a social life. There are also plenty of things to do and groups to join. I wish I could have done more, but I am happy with what I have accomplished while there. I am happy to say that I don't regret choosing UAlbany for my undergraduate studies and proud to forever be a Great Dane!