My Dearest Friend

My Dearest Friend

Here's to all you do for me.

12
My Dearest Friend

A true friend is someone who knows more about your strengths and weaknesses than you know yourself; yet they still love and accept every part of you, whether good or bad.

There are a few people that come to mind when I think of this definition of friendship; however only one has been by my side since, basically, day one. It all started before we were born. Our grandparents were very close friends, golfing being their favorite past time. I bet they never expected to be the reason that their granddaughters have a friend they can pretty much call a sister.

Our friendship started in middle school. We played every sport together and never failed to goof around during almost every practice. During these three years of my life I had many friends come and go, but somehow you stayed by me through it all. I never understood why but hey, I’m not complaining! My eighth-grade year was my hardest, having to deal with bullying along with my other closest friend switching schools was obviously traumatic. I can remember only a few friends who stuck by me because they actually cared about me and wanted to be my friend, not because they were forced to by the school. Of course, you were one of these girls. You helped make each day easier just by saying, “Hey, what’s up?” when we passed each other in the halls; I knew if I needed you, you would be there. Although these years were not when we were closest, little did I know, it was the start to a bond that I wouldn’t give up for anything.

When we spent a year of school without each other, when you were in eight-grade and I was a freshman, I always felt like something was missing. I realized this feeling was because of you when you were moved up to play JV softball with me. You instantly filled the void when you came back into my life. It was like we never spent time apart, picking up right where we left off. In my opinion, only true friends are able to do that.

Having you in my life from that point on has been the biggest blessing I could ever ask for. You were the only person who was able to accept me for me; I never felt as though I had to be someone I’m not for you to want to hang out with me. I was crazy, I bounced off the walls, I talked A LOT, I dominated conversations, I interrupted you constantly, I was clearly overwhelming at times, but somehow you managed to never make me feel like I should be ashamed of who I was. There were so many people in my life that would easily get annoyed with me after spending only ten minutes talking to me, not just in high school but every year before that too. I don’t know how you did it, but you never failed to put up with every aspect of my personality; the good and the bad, the happy and the sad, the extreme highs and the extreme lows, the fun times and the hard times, just everything. Whenever I was with you, it was the only time I truly felt comfortable. I didn’t feel like you were going to judge me for saying the wrong things or for being too annoying. For the first time in my life, I knew I had someone who accepted me for me, and that alone is the best gift you could have ever given me. It might not seem like much, but considering all the friends I’ve lost throughout the years because of who I am, I am so grateful to have always had you.

The funniest part about our friendship is that we are literally complete opposites, physically and mentally, but somehow it works. I love how whenever I ask you your opinion on something you tell me what you think and then already know what my opinion is… even before I know it myself. I love how strong you are and how soft you can be. I love your comforting smile and hugs. I love your advice when I have no clue what to do. I love that you’re always there for me, even when you have things to get done. I love that we still talk while I’m away at college. I love that you fit right into my family as if it were your own. I love hearing your voice when things start to go downhill; it picks me right back up. I love that your mom and brother accept me as family just like you do. I love that you are like a sister to me; even though we bicker like sisters, we always make up. And although we can not even manage to take a decent picture together, there’s not a single thing about you that I would change.

(I could go on and on about all our memories together and all the ups and downs that we helped each other get through, but it would seriously be way too long.)

Now, you aren’t like family to me, you are family, and every member acknowledges this as well. We basically “adopted” you just as your mom has done for me; “daughter from another mother” –Tami1. You spend holidays with us, you go on family vacations with us, you can just walk into my house and no one would ever question it-even if I’m not home- and you are a part of grandma and grandpa’s unconditional love that is given to each grandchild. I can’t go to a single family event without you and not have every family member ask me where you are or how you are doing. To be able to say that I have a friend like this is a huge privilege that I defiantly do not take for granted. I know I’m hard to handle sometimes, but you do it with such grace and ease it’s unbelievable. I want you to know how grateful I am to have you in my life and I appreciate everything you have done and will do, for me. You have helped shape me into who I am and I wouldn’t give you up for any amount of money in the world.