Respecting culture

My Culture Is Not A Stereotype,  Stop Assuming Before You Know The Truth.

You as an individual need to stop creating excuses to try to justify the stereotype you implied to someone or the assumption of how a culture is.

25

I love how people just come up to and saying my culture is supposed to be a certain way and I'm just like yeah totally! Well, let's take a step behind that first line was full on sarcasm if you didn't catch it. Cultures are not supposed to be something you create assumptions for and create stereotypes for.

Of course its really easy to fall in all these stereotypes because come on you see something on Twitter, Instagram, or even Snapchat about a certain group, identity, culture, gender norms and start assuming that its suppose to be that way. When we fall into stereotypes that people have created we fail to do the least and educate our self.

I am not going to lie either I did once fall into a stereotype about a certain ethnicity but learned that it shouldn't work like that. We often think that oh no ones going to get offended or if someone says something about what I assumed I'll just say its what's on social media. You as an individual need to stop creating excuses to try to justify the stereotype you implied to someone or the assumption of how a culture is.

Well your probably wondering what culture I belong to? or what my ethnicity is? So here's the answer I am Pakistani. All though I lived in America since I was just a baby. America is basically home to me because of the fact that I grew up and was raised here. Even though I been living here in America all my life I never got so assimilated into the American culture and forgot my own.

So when people assume that my culture is a certain way or that there's only one main traditional it annoys me. I mean all of us of access to technology and rather than staying ignorant about others and saying things that can offend people do some research! Also, don't think that your perfect and that your to perfect to do research. Gaining knowledge is key!

In today's day and age, we all KNOW how important is to have a phone. It's almost abnormal if you don't have one. But do we all KNOW how important it is not to fall into stereotypes and assumptions? I think the answer is no because I still know people who are ignorant and won't do any research. IT never hurts to talk to someone about their culture and embrace culture difference than assuming.

When you actually take the time and effort in knowing about peoples culture you will not only be more educated but you can meet some amazing people out there! So I challenge you! I challenge you to do research or even talk to someone who is a different ethnicity or belongs to a different culture than you do! You will be surprised at the similarities and difference that the specific culture holds. So I am going end off by saying my culture isn't a stereotype so stop assuming before you know the truth!!