My Brother, The Alcoholic: A Poem

My Brother, The Alcoholic: A Poem

Don't drink and drive, kids.
343

Sometimes, he would

stumble home

eyes bloodshot,

smelling of beer

and sweat

and stale cigarettes

slurring his words

beyond the point of c o m p r e h e n s i o n

But the one thing,

the one thing

that never changed

was that he was

an alcoholic

and my brother

Other times, he would

find his way back

hop into bed,

and

f
a
l
l

straight asleep

from the euphoria

of the hops

But the one thing

that never changed

was that

he was

an alcoholic

and my brother

Once in a while, he would

waddle home,

cheeks flushed,

smiling,

and proclaiming

that he would buy our mom and dad a house

telling my younger brother to stay in school

But, the one thing

that never changed,

that never changed,

he was an alcoholic

and my brother

Sometimes,

he would not

come home at all

but the phone would ring

interrupting the dead silence

of the quiet night

and my shaky sleep

telling us he was behind bars

and not in a bar

or in the confines of a hospital bed

But, the one thing

that never changed

was that he was

an alcoholic,

and

my brother

On occasion, he would

come home

sober,

clear-eyed

and tired

not from the alcohol

but from the hardships of the day

But the one thing

that never changed

was that

he was my brother,

an alcoholic

Cover Image Credit: Unsplash

I'm The Girl Without A 'Friend Group'

And here's why I'm OK with it

527988

Little things remind me all the time.

For example, I'll be sitting in the lounge with the people on my floor, just talking about how everyone's days went. Someone will turn to someone else and ask something along the lines of, "When are we going to so-and-so's place tonight?" Sometimes it'll even be, "Are you ready to go to so-and-so's place now? Okay, we'll see you later, Taylor!"

It's little things like that, little things that remind me I don't have a "friend group." And it's been like that forever. I don't have the same people to keep me company 24 hours of the day, the same people to do absolutely everything with, and the same people to cling to like glue. I don't have a whole cast of characters to entertain me and care for me and support me. Sometimes, especially when it feels obvious to me, not having a "friend group" makes me feel like a waste of space. If I don't have more friends than I can count, what's the point in trying to make friends at all?

I can tell you that there is a point. As a matter of fact, just because I don't have a close-knit clique doesn't mean I don't have any friends. The friends I have come from all different walks of life, some are from my town back home and some are from across the country. I've known some of my friends for years, and others I've only known for a few months. It doesn't really matter where they come from, though. What matters is that the friends I have all entertain me, care for me, and support me. Just because I'm not in that "friend group" with all of them together doesn't mean that we can't be friends to each other.

Still, I hate avoiding sticking myself in a box, and I'm not afraid to seek out friendships. I've noticed that a lot of the people I see who consider themselves to be in a "friend group" don't really venture outside the pack very often. I've never had a pack to venture outside of, so I don't mind reaching out to new people whenever.

I'm not going to lie, when I hear people talking about all the fun they're going to have with their "friend group" over the weekend, part of me wishes I could be included in something like that. I do sometimes want to have the personality type that allows me to mesh perfectly into a clique. I couldn't tell you what it is about me, but there is some part of me that just happens to function better one-on-one with people.

I hated it all my life up until very recently, and that's because I've finally learned that not having a "friend group" is never going to be the same as not having friends.

SEE ALSO: To The Girls Who Float Between Friend Groups