My Boyfriend Is My Best Friend And That's OK
popular

You have to be friends before lovers.

657897
Author's photo

A lot of people will raise hell about significant others doing almost everything together. That used to be normal, right? But so was chivalry. A lot of things have changed over the years, and norms are no longer cool. But one thing will never change in my opinion is that your significant other should also be your best friend.

Why? Let's define "best friend," according to Urban Dictionary,

"Best Friends are very special people in your life. They are the first people you think about when you make plans. They are the first people you go to when you need someone to talk to. You will phone them up just to talk about nothing, or the most important things in your life. When you're sad they will try their hardest to cheer you up. They give the best hugs in the world! They are the shoulder to cry on, because you know that they truly care about you. In most cases, they would take a bullet for you, coz it would be too painful to watch you get hurt."

Um, excuse me, does that not sound like your significant other? It should, in my opinion. My boyfriend is my best friend. He was for four years before we dated, and we have been dating for three. So do the math: Best friends for seven years, and we haven't gotten tired of each other yet. It is OK to consider your boyfriend as your best friend.

They should be. They should be there for everything from a should to cry on to celebrating your biggest accomplishments. That's what mine does.

My boyfriend is my best friend because...

1. He is always there.

He might not answer his phone all the time, but he is always there. There is no doubt in my mind he would drive three hours through the night to make me feel better when I am down — because he has.

2. He makes me laugh and smile.

If you can find someone who can make you laugh and smile by doing the smallest of things, then keep them. It is hard to find.

3. He annoys the crap out of me sometimes.

That is what best friends/boyfriends do: Annoy the crap out of you. Sometimes. But you love every minute of it because you love them, and somehow you'll laugh about it later.

4. He treats me like one of the guys but also a princess all at the same time.

If you don't get this, then he probably isn't your best friend. If you get it, then you know the term "you date one, you get them all." And you somehow know way too much about all his guy friends because you go to beer and wings every once in a while.

5. He believes in me.

Everyone needs a cheerleader, a cheerleader that knows your biggest strengths and your worst weaknesses. He sits back and cheers me on when I got in on my own, but the second I throw the white towel in for help, he is there to give me that extra boost.

6. There is no such thing as anything private.

If you are best friends, you don't really care what the other person thinks because they are used to it. There is no such thing as privacy, modesty, or awkwardness in your relationship. If you don't get it, you're missing out. Getting to be your complete self around your significant other is probably better than sliced bread.

7. He knows everything and still loves me.

Literally everything. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Trust me on the ugly — he's tried to wake me up in the mornings. It is such a blessing knowing that when you are at the end of your rope and are struggling, you can go to them and be like, "Well, here I am. Love me." No one is perfect, so it is nice to have someone who knows I am human and will make mistakes.

Being in love with your best friend is probably the best feeling ever. I used to laugh when older adults would say, "You will end up marrying your best friend." I thought they were crazy. Having your boyfriend as your best friend is a blessing, you always have someone to go on an adventure with no matter what. The adventure is life.