Dear Grandma

Dear Grandma

An Open Letter to my Grandma <3

32
Luna Lovos and her Grandma

Dear Grandma,

I hope you get the chance to read this soon. Your 90 years on this Earth has made quite an impact. You have been there for all of my 22 years and I am still counting on you being there for more. You were always there for me between the diapers and the crying fits and the laughs and giggles. You have watched me grow into the young woman I am today. I carry a piece of you, furthering your legacy and making you the proud grandma that you are today. I would not be here had it not been for your trip to America from Germany. Your mom and dad are smiling upon you, with Grandpa and Uncle John waiting for you past the gate. But it is not your time just yet. I still want you to be there at my graduation. I want both of you to be there at my graduation, Grandma Kate and Grandma Jane. You both have seen me at my worst and at my best. Your grand wisdom has succeeded by helping me make the best choices I can. You both have raised me well. Now it is the time I return the favor.

I did not imagine the tables would turn. Instead of cleaning my diaper when I was a baby, I am shopping for diapers for you. Instead of you feeding me baby food, I am now helping you eat dinner by the small forkful. Instead of you reading me stories, I share my stories and photos with you about all my friends and our family. I guess when you get older, it is almost as if, in a funny way, you are also getting younger as well. You might feel 90, but deep down inside you are young at heart. Even the doctors said so! We are all praying you have a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

It can be disappointing at times to be this old, with all the aches and pains, forgetting which medicine to take, and being too weak to do things on your own. But it just means I have another chance to show you how much I love you. I may not be able to visit as often as I would like but please know that I am always with you. No matter what, where, when, why, or how, like you have always told me, love can surpass anything! It is our love that keeps things alive. While you are still breathing and learning how to walk again, let me love you every step of the way. I love you, Grandma! Please don't forget that. May you remember that when times feel lonely. May you remember that when the pain hurts too much. May you remember that when you wake up and when you go to sleep because you will always have me as I have you.

Stay strong and stay positive. We will make it through. Ich liebe dich auch and Je t'aime toujours.

P.S. Grandma Jane, I know you are very camera shy, so I respect your wishes and will keep your photos for the books.