My 2016 Fantasy Football Top Five: Disappointments

Since everybody else is making this list, I figure I might as well join in on the fun.

8

The 2016 NFL season is right around the corner which means another year of fantasy football is upon us as well, and a google search about fantasy content yields countless hits of writers and analysts offering their opinions on preseason projections, draft strategies, and the like. Being the fantasy football buff that I am, I figured I'd add my two cents, picking a few commonly projective categories and selecting five players who I believe will fit into that category this season.

Of course, it's fantasy football, and nobody knows for certain what will happen. This is all speculation and for all we know, it could all be completely moot in a few weeks. Here are my top five disappointments:

1. Alshon Jeffery

The talent is there, no question about it. However, Jay Cutler is his quarterback, and he has been absolutely plagued by injuries throughout his young career. But if he can stay healthy, the allure is definitely there.

2. Doug Baldwin

Russell Wilson's arm really came on strong late last year and Baldwin was the primary benefactor having finished the season with 14 touchdowns. But it's time for a wakeup call — Doug Baldwin isn't scoring 14 touchdowns again this year, and I'm honestly not even sure he's scoring half of that. That kind of production simply can't be maintained, so a decline is inevitable. And don't be fooled by that late-season passing surge last year, Seattle is still a run-first team.

3. DeMarco Murray

He was downright dreadful in Philadelphia and while I am encouraged about his change of scenery, you simply don't draft Derek Henry just to sit him on the bench.

4. Devonta Freeman

He was magnificent last year but you could smell the production tailing off toward the end of the year. They just drafted Tevin Coleman in the 2nd round last year and I don't think he's going away any time soon. I love Julio Jones, but I also have a very hard time trusting an offense led by Matt Ryan.

5. Blake Bortles

Make no mistake, this is not a knock on Bortles by any means. I actually love his game and he led me to a fantasy championship last year, but I think Jacksonville is seriously on the uptick, and they won't be playing from behind so much this season, so Bortles won't have as many opportunities to let his arm loose trying to lead a comeback. Nonetheless, he is certainly a young ascending signal caller and he has Allen Robinson to work with.