10 Musicals That Will Not Be Made Into Movies

These are the musicals that for one reason or another are never going to be made into movie musicals.

2050
Broadway Wikia

If you are a fan of theatre and Broadway, you most likely have a couple of musicals that you would love to become movies. However, we have to admit that some musicals are such masterpieces or pieces made strictly for theatre audiences and concepts that there is no way they would be successfully translated to the screen without major issues.

Some that have been made into movies, such as "Into the Woods" and "Nine," are proof that not everything can be translated to other mediums successfully. Those that appear on this list may someday be put on the Silver Screen someday, but there are definite things in the production that would make it hard and difficult to produce a good movie. Those that have already been made into a movie do not count for this list, despite how badly they have translated. Same with musicals that were adapted from screenplays.

1. "Wicked"

First off, this show is the main one in talks to become a movie, mostly with Disney being at the forefront of that discussion as the makers of the film. Not only could this cause some issue with the adult topics in "Wicked" that don't mesh with the Disney ideals, we also have to ask about the iconic number "Defying Gravity." There has been some animation floating around of it, ideally for if Disney were to take over the project, but how ridiculous would it look if it wasn't done by Disney and, in turn, wasn't animated? Would Elphaba be floating without her broom between her legs looking ridiculous over the Ozians on a clear blue sky? Or about to take off from a balcony (which is pretty anti-climatic)?

But with that comes the question, are we going to use the original actors for Elphaba and Galinda? Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenowith are now too old to portray the roles physically, though the animation idea would allow the two to reprise their roles. But why not open the doors for new actors? There are just too many questions and issues with the production being translated to screen to determine whether or not this would be a successful production or not.

2. "The Mystery of Edwin Drood"

The main issue with "Edwin Drood?" It relies on heavily on audience participation. The opening number, "There You Are" involves the actors running through the audience, breaking the fourth wall to make the whole entire theatre part of the stage. The audience votes for who the detective is, who the murderer is, and who the two lovers are. So it won't really work unless they have remotes in the audience and a way to change between the different versions. The best idea for this show? The NBC and Fox live productions. Start a couple of hashtags for the Datchery's, murderers, and lovers and you have a great live TV movie.

3. Literally anything of Stephen Sondheim's.

Where to start with Sondheim? "Into the Woods" and "Sweeney Todd" were not good executions. It doesn't help that almost all of his shows are non-linear concept shows such as "Company," "Merrily We Roll Along," "Assassins," and arguably "Sunday in the Park with George." While critics tend to love the theatre productions and audiences not so much, that tends to be the flip side for the films thus far. Most theatre fans who can't make it to Broadway are eager to see Sondheim on the big screen, but are his shows too complex for the regular theatre-going crowd?

4. "The Book of Mormon"

"The Book of Mormon" started a ton of controversies when it originally premiered. From some outcries from the Mormon community to being written by the creators of South Park. This is one movie on this list that I do expect a ton of controversy to happen when it premieres. That being said, the controversy might potentially be such a turnoff that they do not make it into a movie.

5. "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee"

Like "Edwin Drood," "Spelling Bee" is heavily reliant on audience participation and ad-libbing. Also, there are some things that are heavily up to interpretation. The kids in the show are almost always played by adults, but this is film and they normally do not do interpretive things like that, so who wants to see a show with little kids shouting "F**k" at the screen repeatedly and a lot of other adult things? No? That's what I thought.

6. "Cats"

Ok, I know technically this show was filmed, but it was a PBS TV movie, so it still qualifies. This show is literally people with whiskers glued to their faces, jumping around in leotards with literal garbage for props and background pieces. Do we keep it as is and film it on a very obvious stage, set it in an actual junk yard, or CGI the whole thing and hope for something that does not resemble Garfield to pop up on the screen? While these options do sound hysterical and entertaining, it is not for the right reasons. Maybe we've had enough of Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber on the big screen?

7. "Hamilton"

The most recent smash hit on Broadway may not hit the big screen for a while. Why? Well, there would be concerns with casting: do we go with the original hit cast or cast some new people; but won't that turn some people away? Should we keep the original color blind casting that the musical is known for? That and shows that are on Broadway at the moment aren't often in the talks to move to the big screen, as the fear is that it will take away the revenue with people going, "I have the DVD at home, why should I travel to New York and pay close to $1,000 for nosebleed seats?" While it may still rake in some major cash for both the stage and screen, don't expect it to make the transition so soon.

8. "Avenue Q"

This is one of the shows that even on stage makes you think, "What the heck were they thinking making this?" It is literally "Sesame Street" for adults. "The Internet is for Porn" and "If You Were Gay" are just a few of the shocking numbers in this Tony-winning musical. The novelty of the show is seeing the puppeteers on stage, albeit dressed in black, and handling the puppets. That's one thing that makes the show unique, but would it be sacrificed for aesthetic value?

9. "Starlight Express"

Another ALW musical whose concept makes you wonder what he was smoking back in the day. The musical involves a train, crazy makeup, and everyone is on roller skates. Yep, that's the show, or at least I think it is. It's has such crazy ideas, songs, and concepts that I have a hard time deciphering it. Like seriously, what were they thinking when they made this?

10. Anything made by Starkid.

What makes Starkid great? The fact that it's basically fanfiction that was filmed of Harry Potter, Aladdin, and certain superheroes. That is the novelty of Starkid, the somewhat low budget quirkiness of it all is it's charm. To give it a complete Hollywood makeover would make lose what makes it special. Simple as that.

Disagree with any of the above musicals that you think can be made into musicals? Think I missed some? Sound off in the comments below!