11 Perfect Musical Quotes For Your Graduation Cap

11 Musical Quotes That Are Perfect For Your Graduation Cap

Hats off to you, musical theatre!

54

Finding the right quote for your graduation cap is an absolute necessity, especially when you graduate college.

You want to find a quote that accurately sums up the last 4 years of your life and all the lessons both good and bad that you learned during that time.

Searching for the right quote can prove to be difficult as there are so many to choose from, but none of them seem to be the right fit.

Luckily, we have musicals that not only provide us with entertainment but teach us life lessons that we will carry with us throughout our lives!

Musicals like RENT and Kinky Boots teach us about self-acceptance, In The Heights teaches us about persevering through times of struggle while maintaining and celebrating one's cultural identity, and Dear Evan Hansen teaches us it's okay to not be okay because better things are coming.

These are all important life lessons that college kids encounter throughout their 4 years of self-discovery, so what better way than to sum up their experiences than with a quote from a musical?

Here are some great quotes from various musicals that are sure to help you end your college career on a high note!

1. "I am the one thing in life I can control"- Hamilton

media.giphy.com

Fun fact: I actually chose this quote for my own cap! The last 4 years definitely have not gone as planned, but I have to keep in mind that I can't control my experiences, but I can control how I respond to them.

2. "No day but today"- RENT

media.giphy.com

This quote really resonates with people because we frequently become so busy with our daily lives and put so much emphasis on our future plans that we rarely take the time to reflect on how important each day truly is. This quote reminds me that worrying about the future won't change anything, so I should take each day as it comes.

3. "You Will Be Found"- Dear Evan Hansen

media.giphy.com

Evan Hansen struggles with social anxiety which can make it difficult for people to put themselves out there and form new relationships. College is the time where individuals are struggling to form their identity, figure out what they want to do for the rest of their lives, understand what they want in their lives and personal relationships, and it can be pretty difficult to come to terms with who you are. Dear Evan Hansen reminds us that no matter how hard you're struggling, you will be found.

4. "Sometimes you got to rewrite the plot"- Kinky Boots

media.giphy.com

When I first started college, I had my whole life planned out. I was gonna be a nurse, get a job straight out of college and be financially stable. Needless to say, that didn't happen. I ended up dropping out for a while, and I had no idea what I was doing. I didn't like the way my life was going, so I rewrote the script. I switched jobs a few times, reapplied to college and switched my major to Communications. After that, life just fell into place!

5. "It's time to trust my instincts, close my eyes, and leap!"- Wicked

media.giphy.com

Graduating high school and starting college was absolutely terrifying for me. I don't like change, and I will find any way to prevent change from happening. Whenever people would ask me why I wasn't excited about college, I would tell them that I wasn't ready. Now that I've finished college, I can tell you that waiting until you're ready means waiting forever. Sometimes, you just have to go for it!

Trust me, you're ready. Even if you don't think you are, you're ready!

6. "Thank you for everything I know"- In The Heights

media.giphy.com

Everyone has someone they look up to that inspires them to work towards goals they didn't even know were achievable! For me, that was my Spanish professor whom I met when I was a Junior in college. She was not only the best professor I've ever had, but she helped me discover my talents. Before I met her, I was just a college student who went to class and studied. After I met her, I became a writer for Odyssey, a comedian, and a motivational speaker. Thank you for everything I know!

7. "Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise"- Les Miserables

media.giphy.com

Even though college was the best 4 years I've had so far, there were many times where I wanted to give up. Eventually, I did. I dropped out without the intention of returning, but thank God I did! The year I took off was the worst year I've ever had, and I didn't know how I would handle everything life threw at me. However, I took a chance and decided to reapply to school, and the year I returned ended up being the best year of my life!

8. "You are more than what you have become" - Lion King

media.giphy.com

Your worth is not determined by your GPA, your income, the number of friends you have, where you live, what car you drive, who your significant other is, etc. Your worth is determined by your status as a human being and nothing but. We often compare ourselves to other people who seem to "have their life together", but I guarantee you almost no one has it all together; we're all confused in some way or another.

No matter what stage of your life you're in, you are valid.

9. "Being true to yourself never goes out of style"- Legally Blonde

media.giphy.com

Given the capitalistic society we live in, we're always pushed towards things that will make us the most money, not the things that will make us happy. I started off majoring in Nursing because it was a guaranteed job and paycheck, but I wasn't happy. My roommate originally majored in Engineering because her mom wanted her to, but she hated it. After she switched to Psychology, a whole new person was born! After I switched to Communications, I looked forward to going to class every day! As long as you love what you're doing, then you've chosen the right major!

10. "Give 'em the old razzle dazzle"- Chicago

media.giphy.com

Growing up, I was always that kid that never wanted to sit still or blend in with everyone else. I always had to have that "extra something". If I had a dollar for every time I was told to "tone it down", I would be able to pay for my Master's and my Ph.D. up front! Now that I found the perfect job with the perfect coworkers, I'm not only accepted for being who I am, but I'm celebrated for it, too!

Don't be afraid to put your extra touch on everything you do, and remember to go where you're celebrated, not where you're tolerated!

11. "I am not throwing away my shot"- Hamilton

media.giphy.com

College is a unique opportunity that provides us with more opportunities than we'd have without our degrees. Even though there were multiple times I didn't want to continue with college because it was too difficult, somehow I managed to get through! I couldn't have done it without the support of my friends and professors, and I'm excited to see where life takes them and where it takes me, too! Thank you to everyone who reminded me not to throw away my shot, I love you all so much!

Congratulations to all the graduates out there; I am so proud of each and every one of you! Don't forget to give 'em the old razzle-dazzle, and the world is yours!