Music Has A Beautiful Unspoken Power to Change You

When You Are Given The Gift Of Music, Be Grateful For Its Power

There's nothing you can do except listen.

18

I was lucky enough to be born into a musical family. My grandfather taught himself how to play piano by ear, my uncle traveled around playing bluegrass, and my mother sang in various backup choirs for Christian singers.

Needless to say, I grew up surrounded by music. When I was younger, my uncles would come over and play bluegrass for the whole neighborhood to hear. There are tons of videos and tape recordings of me and my brothers playing along with them, creating memories we will all hold onto forever.

As I grew older, I picked up a few instruments and have never been able to put one down since. From the piano to the banjo, I've tried to play any instrument I come across.

To me, it's a way to relieve stress.

When I've had a stressful day (or week, month, year, etc.), the only thing I want to do is play the piano. There's something about banging on glossy white keys that takes all of my stress away.

While music acts as stress relief, the ability to play music allows you to create music too. To me, that's the best part of being given the ability to play music.

Music is not just a stress reliever or an emotional outlet - it's a tool.

It's just as much of a tool as a hammer or screw. When you start to fall apart, you can turn to music and it can piece you right back together. Music can unite others all across the globe. Music has such an incredible power that cannot just be described - it has to be felt.

When you hear a song that truly moves you, there's that feeling in your chest of excitement.

Your brain instantly feels sharper or clearer. You can't help but feel something in your bones that makes you want to get up and run around. That something? I wish I could tell you what it is, but all I can think is that it's the gift of music hitting you.

The next time you listen to your favorite song, I challenge you to think about why you love it. Jot down ideas as to what you feel when you listen to it. Do your ears feel like they're being enchanted by magic? Do you feel as if you can't contain yourself from singing the song? Or do you just sit in silence and listen?

Everyone experiences music in different ways, but just think about how one person is giving you that gift of music and how it has changed you. Thank them in some way. We live in the days of social media, so put it to use.

When you're given the gift of music, there is nothing you can do except listen and be grateful.