Music Monday: September Edition

Music Monday: September Edition

Need some new music? Here's the perfect playlist for you!

22
Music Monday: September Edition

Here’s your perfect monthly Monday playlist, featuring some good R&B vibes and electronics beats, perfect for studying or dancing around your room.

1. How Does It Feel – Kamaiyah

FOR FANS OF: YG, Missy Elliot, D.R.A.M, Lil Yachty, Domo Genesis,

Oakland rapper Kamaiyah is known for intertwining classic 90s vibes with today’s beats to create a catchy, funky sound. Though she’s fairly recently hit the mainstream hip-hop/rap wave, she’s definitely made a name for herself. She is featured along with Drake on YG’s newest single “Why You Always Hatin?” and her acclaimed debut album A Good Night in the Ghetto, which features her debut single from 2015 (and the song for this playlist), “How Does It Feel”.

2. Dang! (feat. Anderson Paak.) – Mac Miller

FOR FANS OF: Goldlink, Justin Timberlake, Miguel, Wiz Khalifa, J.Cole

Pittsburgh based rapper, Mac Miller, has more of a throwback classic vibe compared to his hop hip counterparts. Mac Miller has made his name through mixtapes and has worked his way up to work with artists such as The Weeknd, Cee Lo Green and Ariana Grande. While the song only features Anderson Paak, I have found that a lot of his style comes through this song, particularly through the beats and tempo.

3. Doo Wop (That Thing) – Ms. Lauryn Hill

FOR FANS OF: Mary J. Blige, Aaliyah, Erykah Badu

After breaking away from the Fugees, Ms. Lauryn Hill worked to establish herself as a creative force of her own. She has successfully integrated rap, soul and reggae to create a unique, beautiful sound that has inspired many artists. While this song is an old one, it has not faded in quality and power and continues to leave listeners breathless. Doo Wop (That Thing) is one of those songs that will never get old.

4. In Common – Alicia Keys

FOR FANS OF: Mariah Carey, Beyoncé, Mary J. Blige, Kelly Rowland

Alicia Keys has become an international singer due to her beautiful combination of classical and contemporary R&B. Her Harlem background inspires her music and combined with her eloquent piano skills and soulful vocals, creates chart-topping hit.

5. Phone Down – Erykah Badu

FOR FANS OF: Maxwell, D’Angelo, Angie Stone, India.Arie

Born Erica Wright in Dallas 1971, Erykah Badu incorporates 70s soul and 80s hip-hop to create bass-heavy R&B, separating her from the “cookie-cutter female R&B singers”. While the song is fairly repetitive, the relaxing vibe and catchy beat makes it good for doing homework or hanging out with your friends.

6. Money Trees – Kendrick Lamar & Jay Rock

FOR FANS OF: ScHoolboy Q, J.Cole, Ab-Soul, A$AP ROCKY, Dom Kennedy, Drake

Kendrick Lamar, Platinum-selling, Grammy-nominated rapper, has reached the top of the carts from his humble beginnings in Compton, California. His songs, while catchy and funky, also have deep meaning and touch your soul with every word.

7. Second Nature – Stalking Gia

FOR FANS OF: Keyes, NÉONHÈART

Weaving emotional lyrics and chill vibes, Stalking Gia delivers a track with texture and body that’s sure to send shivers down your spine. Right off the bat, Stalking Gia’s latest single, “Second Nature,” envelopes you in a deep, sultry bass and a beat reminiscent of a thumping heart, intertwining with sweet, breathy vocals.

8. Bonbon (Post Malone Remix) – Era Istrefi & Post Malone

FOR FANS OF: Kiiara, Cheat Codes, Kungs, Fais

Albanian Kosovar singer Era Istrefi broke out internationally in 2015 with her single “Bon Bon." Blending pop and reggae in the style of early Rihanna, Era Isrefi is starting make her mark on the United States.

9. Hometown Girl (Radio Edit) – ZHU

FOR FANS OF: Disclosure, Duke Dumont, The Magician,

ZHU, or Stephen Zhu, emerged in 2014 with “Moves Like Ms. Jackson”, an electronic dance track made up of a medley of Outkast songs. As more tracks appeared on the internet, the hype around his music built up. ZHU has worked with artists such as Skrillex, AlunaGeorge, Gallant, THEY, A-Trak, and even performed at Coachella. This song features a smoother, slower funky beat, making it the perfect song to listen to while driving along the coast.

10. Talk – DJ Snake & George Maple

FOR FANS OF: Jack Ü, Major Lazer, The Chainsmokers, Avicii, Alesso, Afrojack

Grammy-nominated producer DJ Snake is a huge part of the trap music scene, partly because of his chart-topping song “Turn Down for What” featuring Lil Jon. After working with artists including Major Lazer, Lady Gaga, Baauer (Harlem Shake anyone?), MØ and Dillon Francis, DJ Snake recently released his newest album “Encore” featuring songs with Justin Bieber, Travi$ Scott and Young Thug.

Here's a Spotify playlist featuring all of the songs listed above.