Music Midtown, I Love You.

Music Midtown, I Love You.

Sixteen Tips To Survive Your First Music Festival

23
Music Midtown, I Love You.
Music Midtown Official Facebook Page

As I stood in the crowd of hundreds to thousands of people as we all sang along to 'The Killers' 'Mr. Brightside,' I fell in love with the experience of Music Midtown. With everyone jumping around and screaming the lyrics to the song, I had never experienced anything quite like it. I've been to many concerts, shout out to Taylor Swift who had the best concert of the year, but something about Music Midtown was different. The feel was different and there was SO MUCH MUSIC! With it being my first music festival I had no idea what to expect. As we ran from one stage to another, sang to the top of our lungs, and danced the night away, I wanted to share some tips that I picked up on that hopefully will be beneficial to you at your next music festival.

1. It's Not A Music Festival Till It Rains

On Sunday it poured. I think I would've been drier if I would have jumped into a pool. While it was wet, muddy, and I'm pretty sure I ruined my shoes, there is nothing like singing your favorite song at the top lungs and dancing in the rain. My opinion, totally worth the ruined shoes.

2. A Hat Or Sunglasses Is A Must

If the festival is during one of the hotter/sunnier months, you need sunglasses or a hat. It makes the experience a lot better when you aren't having to squint at the stage.

3. Download The App

Music Midtown has an App and if you attend a festival that has one, I suggest that you download it. The Music Midtown App gave you the schedule for each stage, a map of the park, and also had a friend finder in case you and your group got separated. It was a lifesaver when you were trying to find out when and where your favorite artist was playing.

4. Have A Meeting Place

Not everyone in your group is going to want to see the same artist every time so have a meeting place (ours was the Jack Daniels tent) in case you do get separated. Your text messages may not go through and no one can hear on the phone whenever there is that many people and that much music playing.

5. Get All The Free Stuff

Hit up all of the booths that are around the festivals. At Music Midtown we stopped by almost everyone and received some free gifts. Whether it's a radio station or another vendor, go grab the free stuff because let's face it who doesn't like free stuff.

6. Pregame

While they sell alcohol inside the festival if you wait to buy all of your alcohol there your bank account will hate you and you will hate yourself on Monday morning when you are sober. (By the way, this is a great time to use Uber. Please don't drink and drive.)

7. Meet New People

Whether you are walking around or waiting for the next show you are going to be surrounded by all different types of people from all over the country. Talk to people and get to know them. You don't have to become best friends and exchange phone numbers, but it sure does make the time do by faster when you're waiting for Twenty-One Pilots.

8. Dress Cute, But Be Comfortable

I'm all about looking cute but when I know it is going to be hot and I am going to be outside all day I am dressing for cool, cute, and most importantly, comfort. Also side note, I would avoid the opened toed shoes unless you like getting your toes stepped on.

9. Eat There Or In The City

I really thought that the prices would be outrageous for the food inside but to my surprise they weren't. The food was regularly priced and the vendors were great. With that being said, if your festival is located in the city eating downtown is always fun too. A lot of times places that are downtown are unique and ones that you can't find everywhere.

10. Bring A Water Bottle And A Bag

If your festival allows you to bring in a water bottle to refill do it! You are going to get thirsty and if you are drinking alcohol the last thing you want to do is get dehydrated. Also, a bag is a great idea. I prefer something like a drawstring bag that I can throw on my back but anything will work just make sure it is the appropriate size. Remember, you're going to need somewhere to put all of that free stuff!

11. Make Friends With An Uber Driver

There were thousands of people at Music Midtown and once it's over everyone there needs a ride. Make friends with an Uber driver earlier in the day that way you have your ride lined up when you leave. If you don't then you'll probably end up like us on the first night walking around Atlanta at one in the morning waiting for a ride.

12. Know The Schedule And Find The Artist You Want To See

Once again, get the App. Music Midtown's App had the schedule built in so that we never missed who was playing and where. You really don't want to miss that one person you came to see because you thought they played at a different time.

13. Get To The Front

You really can get places by weaving your way in and out through people but do it early. Once the concert begins you are not going anywhere. Pro Tip: It helps if you act like you have friends towards the front.

14. Smoking Is A Thing

Okay so I hate smoking and think it's disgusting but it will happen and if you're lucky like me someone will blow it right in your face. My advice, don't let it ruin the experience. To me there is no point in complaining about it whenever you can't do anything about it. Don't waste your breath by complaining, just move.

15. Go To The Bathroom Outside

Ladies, this is a lifesaver so listen up. There tons of porter-potties located inside of the festival but that is also where all of the people are. If your music festival allows you to come in and out as you please then I would suggest going to the bathroom outside in one of those porter-potties. My friend and I got tired of standing in line and went outside to find there were no lines at all.

16. Enjoy It!

This is the most important one. You only live once so you might as well live it right. Pay the money for the ticket, the alcohol, and the food. Buy a round for your friends because why not? Scream your head off and jump around whenever your favorite band plays your favorite song. Lastly, make memories that are going to last a lifetime with the people you'll never forget.

Until next year Music Midtown!