Music Is Life

Music Is Life

Going behind the scenes with Carly and Martina.
40

Is being a singer songwriter something you aspire to do? Well, according to Martina, half of the 15-year-old twin duo Carly & Martina, one thing you must have is a good pair of earbuds! The twins listen to music from all different genres. You name it, they probably have listened to it or come across at some point.

Carly & Martina started out when they were 11, singing and performing. They play many instruments, but primarily the piano.

"Our music is a reflection of ourselves," said Carly. Martina added, "we write what we feel."

My phone conversation was as inspiring and touching as their songs are. The twins said that doing online school helps them focus on their music career even more. "I get to follow my dream everyday," said Martina, who said that people need to find out what their passion is and then do it.

Even though they started doing this just "for fun," they are realizing the traveling and networking that goes into having a career in music. The girls, who are from a suburb of Chicago, have traveled to New York, San Francisco, Nashville and Waukesha. I interviewed them in Los Angeles where they were getting ready to do a co-write with another musician. They said they have written between 50 to 70 songs. As you may guess, they have evolved as musicians, as they admit that the songs they wrote when they were 13 are in no way like the songs they write today.

Carly & Martina got their start by being interviewed on a Chicago A.M. radio station because of their song "Make Me Happy", which they won a record deal for. Now, in addition to having a Facebook following of around 40,000 followers, they are played on a few Internet radio stations. You can also find them using Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and a live streaming app called Periscope, where they interact with their fans on the daily.

During my telephone interview, Carly Spiro said something that applies as much to their career as musicians as it does to my life right now. She said that she heard a quote once that went something like this, "one day or day 1, you decide!" They added that some of the difficulties in being songwriters are spending "45 minutes looking for a five syllable word." That is something that perhaps, other musicians can relate to.

The twins make it very easy for fans to find them on social media. Their website is carlyandmartina.com and everything social media is @carlyandmartina which is also the name of their first E.P. available on iTunes, Google Play and Spotify. On their website, you can become part of their E-Mail list and get updated when they post blogs.

Carly & Martina, you are some of the most inspiring and humble people I know. The entire family, including their parents Rose Marie and Sam, have become a second family to me and I can truly say that I love them.