How To Pee At A Music Festival

How To Pee At A Music Festival

Helpful Tips and Tricks for Beating the Bathroom Blues.

2753
How To Pee At A Music Festival

Some may find this as an odd subject to write an article on, but let's be honest with ourselves for second. In situations like music festivals, street fairs, concerts, and other outdoor events, using the restroom can be way more of a hassle than it should be, especially for us ladies! If you are like me, you probably loathe using portable restrooms due to the dark, stinky, and over all nasty conditions that you have to endure in order to relieve yourself in them. I've compiled a few helpful hints and tricks to ease the burden of porta-potty peeing!

1. Bring your own TP.

This may seem like a given, but you may also be sitting there with your face in your palm asking yourself why you haven't thought of that yet. Having your own toilet paper ready in-hand puts you one step ahead in the game, enabling you to get in and out of the scary dark plastic closet of germ-y doom. She who brings her own toilet paper rules the world.

2. Have a bathroom-break-buddy.

Most of us have some sort of bag or pack with us at events like festivals, so it only makes sense to have a buddy who can hold your belongings while you go on your mission. I always have a saddle bag-like pouch that I carry around my hips, and this can definitely get in the way when you're trying to get in and out as quickly as you can without touching anything. These packs also are great for holding your TP and other supplies, which I'll mention a little bit later.

3. Carry hand sanitizer.

You'd be surprised how handy this can be, and how many people let it slip their mind while packing!

4. Carry a Flashlight...on a String!

The string part is great because you can carry it around your neck. Again, anything hands-free is great in situations like porta-johns. Or anything in general, especially whilst camping.

5. Seek Out the Farthest-Out Portable Toilets

Many people wait to seek out their "spot" until it's too late; this leads to massive congestion and lines at the portable toilets that are the closest to the music or main pathways. The key to finding less-trashed portable toilets is to allow yourself enough time to walk a little bit further. You'll thank yourself later.

6. Take Advantage of Freshly-Cleaned Facilities

While not all festivals have constant cleaning and emptying services for porta-potties, some do, and this is something that should always be taken advantage of! Keep an eye out for the big trucks that come to pump out and steam clean them!

7. Learn the Proper Way to "Go"

There is, in fact, a method to the madness. Most portable toilets have handles on the inside of the doors, and more people than not seem to forget about this helpful feature. These handles are amazing when it comes to a quick "get-in-and-get-out" mission; simply hold on and hover/squat.

8. Real Restrooms are Worth It

In situations such as music festivals, it's always nice to have an actual bathroom stall, indoors, with lighting. Many festivals won't have this amazing amenity, but I say God Bless to the ones that do.

9. You Will See Things That You Can't Unsee

Let's face it; even if you aren't one to party a lot, almost everybody around you will be doing so. Nasty results in the porta-potties come with the territory. The best thing you can do is try not to look any more than you have to.

10. Put Aside Your Pride

Many people have much worse of a time attempting to use portable toilets than they should, simply because they get too squeamish over it. Let's all be thankful that there are even private places provided for using the restroom.