Music: Attachment Or Assignment?

Music: Attachment Or Assignment?

Should you really be playing an instrument?

18
Music: Attachment Or Assignment?
tookapic

How does one even begin to describe the long journey of learning an instrument? Time-consuming? Tiring? Boring? Forced?

With the new recipe for the perfect college resume, instruments have become an essential ingredient, serving as a supplement for the numerous academic achievements parents expect their kids to have. Not only are students supposed to play and practice these instruments daily, but they are also expected to excel in various competitions.

Is this behavior wrong? Not necessarily. Music has been scientifically proven to improve cognitive function and reduce stress and anxiety. In addition, playing an instrument can be an opportunity to make new friends, in school bands and orchestras or in outside organizations. Many students turn to music as a stress reliever--a way to escape their hectic lives, even if just for a moment.

While playing an instrument may have numerous benefits, many students end up being pressured into learning how to play instruments. Kids are often too afraid to tell their parents they want to quit. The amount of money spent on private lessons and the amount of time spent practicing can deter a child from quitting, even if he/she has no joy in playing the instrument. Private lessons can become expensive as the child advances and plays more challenging repertoire, the sky-rocketing prices quickly draining income.

Of course, many of these students do end up winning plenty of competitions and become absolutely wonderful players. But is learning and winning worth the years of practicing an instrument you have no passion for? As a child who plays both the piano and violin, I cannot imagine how terribly boring it would be to practice both instruments everyday if I didn’t truly love playing. Practicing takes so much time, and most students do not want to spend hours upon hours practicing an instrument they probably won’t pursue as a career. Musicians often regard playing an hour a day as the bare minimum- it is incredibly easy to lose track of time, and before you know it, 3 hours have passed and you haven’t even started your homework. More often than not, I find myself in this frustrating predicament where I know I can’t possibly finish my homework on time and I won’t be able to study for the next day’s tests. Before I know it, I'm back at school, sitting in front of a test with no idea what’s going on.

In addition, playing just to win competitions is not fun for the child nor does it garner the best results. After a certain level of playing, the music is not simply notes and rhythms on a black and white page. The performance requires raw emotion behind the playing so the audience can understand what the artist is trying to portray. Music tells a story, and those who do not immerse themselves and do not feel passionate about the art they are creating will not succeed in painting the picture of beauty the composer tried to write.

Playing an instrument can be an enjoyable pastime. However, spending your childhood extensively practicing and laboring away at an instrument without actually liking the it is a waste of time. Of course, having an art supplement on a college application looks great and may be the final factor that gets you into a better school, but playing just for the competitions and for the applications does not ultimately benefit you. If you are truly passionate about music and love your instrument, by all means, keep practicing. But to those who don’t, perhaps finding an activity that you sincerely love would be a better option and would certainly be a better use of your time.