You're So Much More Than 'Just An Aunt'

You're So Much More Than 'Just An Aunt'

To the woman who filled my heart.

79
You're So Much More Than 'Just An Aunt'
Michaela Mandujano

Losing someone so close to you at a young age can be very devastating, especially when that someone is your mother. In my case, it was just myself and my mom for a very long time, so losing her caused my entire life to be completely turned upside down. So many changes happened so quickly, except for one thing — your love for me.

From the day my mom passed away until now, you have been by my side, loving me and giving me someone to come to when I needed comfort. I know I can call on you to help me or just talk to me about whatever is troubling me. You have made sure I was on time to work, for school functions and whatever else you were "stuck" bringing me too. You made sure you could always do what you could so that I felt included. I also know I can count on you calling me out when I’m not acting like myself or when I retreat into my own little bubble, neglecting everyone at home, which I know I’m guilty of doing maybe once or twice (or more). But you stuck with me, which I will always appreciate.

I just want you to know how grateful I am to have someone like you around. You keep me in check and make sure that, no matter what I’m doing, I’m pursuing my dreams and not settling for anything less than that. You didn't want me to change my dreams even when it became necessary, and you listened as I explained why this path might be better for me than the one I had dreamed of up until this point in my life. We may fight about a lot of things, but I know you only want what is best for me. You picked up that slack in a sense that was dropped when my mom died.

I have come to you with the drama going on at school, for relationship advice (which I didn’t always take), and to vent about the stuff going on at home. You’ve taken me shopping, made sure I was fed and always made sure you could put a smile on my face when I was down (it helps that you give the best hugs too). In some ways, it felt like I became like a daughter to you. You took me under your wing and took care of me when I needed it most, and though I don’t say it often, and will deny it at times, I still need someone to care for me. And I know when it comes time, my future husband will have to make sure he has your approval as well. Because if he doesn't have Aunt M's approval, we have some issues.

In a sense, you become a “stand in” mom for me. “Stand in” because temporarily you have filled in the place where my mom should be. You are a mother figure for me at this time in my life. And I know you have told me for many years now that it was never your intention nor will to replace my mom in my life. And you’re right — you won’t, nor can you ever replace her. But you filled the hole in my heart that was left behind. You are my best friend, and I’m so happy that you are going to be around for a long time.