MTV Shows Through The Ages

MTV Shows Through The Ages

When did Music Television lose the Music?

540
MTV Shows Through The Ages
Instagram

Have you ever taken the time to think about a TV channel that has been around for a while and the evolution of the shows on it? Maybe you haven't, but man MTV has had an interesting history!

MTV unplugged

This was a show that ran 1989-1999 and showcased artists playing their music in an acoustic setting. When many artists appeared on the show it was them releasing their new albums. With the popularity of other shows rising the show ran less frequently starting after 2000. Now it only runs as a special.

Aeon Flux

This show premiered in 1991 and was and was based off a comic book. MTV was just getting away from only showing music videos and they called this their liquid television experiment. This just meant they were trying to do an adult cartoon. This show only ran until 1995.

Real World

The show started in 1992 and is still current running. So far it has become the longest running show for not only MTV but one of the longest running reality TV shows ever. Since its premier it has been the inspiration for many shows such as the Challenge and Road Rules.

Bevis and Butt Head

Ran 1993-2011 and lets be honest does this show really need any description? It was one of the first shows to have a disclaimer run before it saying rude and crude behavior.

Daria

1997-2002. This show as spin off of Bevis and Butt Head and was centered around a teenage girl who criticizes the popular world around her.

The Challenge

Which is one of my favorite shows. The Challenge started in 1998 and is still running, currently on its 30th season called the Dirty 30. It is a spin off of the Real World and typically that is where the cast from the show comes from.

TRL

1998-2008. TRL or total request live was very popular and brought back music to MTV. The show was hosted by Carson Daily and had musicians as guest on it everyday typically to advertise them selves and new music.

True life

This show tends to get kind of creepy and morbid in my opinion. But the show ran in 1998 and is still running. The show usually follows a few people each episode and there is a theme and we see into their lives in a documentary setting. The episodes could be anything from focusing on drugs, relationships, etc.

Celebrity Death Match

I didn't even know this show existed. It ran 1998-2002 and was an animated show that featured celebrities in wrestling matches.

Now into the 2000's..........

MTV cribs

We all know this show that started in 2000 and followed celebrities who gave us tours around their homes, and even evolved to just wealthy people giving us tours around their insane and elaborate estates.

Jackass

2000-2002 this crazy series ran expanding into movies. These group of guys became famous for injuring themselves. Their brand is still running strong and has inspired other spinoffs.

Fear Factor

The show started in 2001 and took a few years off and just recently rebooted. The show follows a few teams who are different each episode, and they do challenges that test their fears. They could do anything from being buried alive to eating bugs.

Clone high

2002-2003 this show only made it for one season. This was a cartoon about a government experiment on a group of high school students who were clones of famous people such as Cleopatra, Joan of Arc, etc.

Viva la Bam

Based off the Jackass star Bam, it followed him and his friends doing crazy skateboards stunts usually made into challenges.

Punk'd

Started in 2003 and still runs sometimes was a show that followed pranks played on celebrities.

Now some very iconic shows started in 2004-2005

Room raiders

The show ran from 2004-2006 and it followed someone who go to invade the rooms of three girls or boys, then pick one of them only based off what they find in their room. Some times this show got very interesting.

Date my Mom

Another show that ran from 2004-2006 and honestly was a pretty weird premise thinking back. The show was about people who went on a date with moms and decided which boy or girl to date based off of their mom.

Pimp my Ride

2004-2007. Through this show we followed a team of experts who decked out cars to all sorts of different levels.

Laguna Beach

The show followed a group of friends who lived in Laguna Beach and the crazy drama that surrounded them. The show ran from 204-2006 and ended up leading to a few spinoffs following the characters into their later lives.

My Super Sweet 16

The show started in 2005 and recently just rebooted, and follows wealthy families who throw their children extravagant sweet 16 parties. This show sure made you jealous of these wealthy teens.

Wild'n Out

Hosted by Nick Cannon and started in 2005 and is still running is a hilarious stand up comedy show more centered around rapping. This show features two teams who battle in hilarious games while rapping and getting points based on how funny their jokes are. Usually their is a celebrity guest each episode.

Next

Thinking back on it there were so many problems with this show... This show went from 2005-2008 and was a bunch of people on a bus with one male or female outside. Each person would come out of the bus and get money for how long they lasted before the host said next. Potentially they would end up picking one person they wanted to date.

Rob and Big

This show started in 2006 and went to 2008 eventually leading to fantasy factory and ridiculousness. The show followed professional skater Rob Dyrdek and the crazy antics he did in his life with his body guard and friend Big Black.

The hills

From 2006-2010 we got a spin off Laguna Beach following LC and Kristin. The drama still follows they are just adults now.

America's Best Dance Crew

This was hosted by Randy Jackson and ran from 2008-2015. When this show started it was the coolest thing ever show casing all different types of dance crews.

16 and Pregnant

This is when MTV took a turn.... for the most. The show premiered in 2009 and went till 2014 and lead to a spin off called Teen mom that is still running. The show followed on 16 year old each episode who was pregnant and we saw her go through the pregnancy and a little bit of after the baby was born. This show became controversial very quick due to its concept.

Jersey Shore

Also in 2009 and ran till 2012 we followed a bunch of twenty somethings who all got a shore house for the summer. They became iconic very quickly due to their personalities and attire. They also lead to many jokes and catch phrases.

Teen mom

In 2009 we got revisited by the girls from 16 and Pregnant, and now we get a look into their lives. This show is still running and now even has a version called Teen Mom OG which follows the first few original girls that were seen on 16 and Pregnant.

The Hard Times Of RJ Berger

This show was from 2010-2011 and followed a dorky teen through high school. This show was very sexual and really had no censored moments. And clearly it didn't last very long.

Awkward

The show as narrated by character Jenna Hamilton who became known for an accident that was blown out of proportion. She then started to have a crush on the most popular guy in school. we saw her navigate through high school and part of college from 2011-2016.

Teen Wolf

In 2011 we met scott and the show is actually ending this year. We followed a teen who was unpopular who got bit by a wolf and became one himself. There is a lot of drama and action and the show is actually pretty dark.

Ridiculousness

Started in 2011 and is still running, was created by host Rob Dyrdek. The show shows a bunch of funny clips that are narrated by Rob.

Catfish

In 2012- till now we have met Neve and Max who get requests by people to come to their home town to help them figure out if who they have been talking to online is real. This is set in a documentary setting and you see emotions run high.

Faking it

2014-2016 we saw a show about two best friends how kiss each other at a party and then pretend to be lesbians to be popular. This show was very controversial. Set in a high school they navigate with this lie and their new found popularity.

Are you the one?

In 2014 we got introduced to a house of people were you win a million dollars if you find out who your perfect match is. Match makers created the matches and it is your job to find him or her. The show is still currently running.

Scream

The show started in 2015 and is based of the Scream movies. It is set in a small town and we follow a girl and her friends who are being killed off by a mask murderer.

Siesta Key

This is one of the newest show that is a spin off of Laguna beach. This follows a group of friends who live in Siesta Key. The show is circled around the drama of their group.

As you can see a lot of shows have come and gone through MTV and only a few still remain running. Which ones are your favorite?