The MTV Series "Scream"

The MTV Series "Scream"

By someone who is not a fan of horror films, and for many reasons is drawn to the TV adaptation of the famous horror film franchise.

15
The MTV Series "Scream"
tubefilter

None of my friends watch the MTV series “Scream” but I’m sure almost everyone has heard of the famous horror film franchise with the same name. The first film, in particular, has stuck with me all these years. And as someone who doesn’t watch horror films or, for the most part, gory and violent films, it is completely out of my nature to be drawn to the MTV series “Scream.”

The show is based on the famous film franchise (specifically the first two movies), and the first film has been ingrained into my memory since the day I watched it. I was in fourth grade and it was probably one of the worst, if not THE worst, days of my life as a fourth grader. I was at a birthday party for the boy I had a crush on, and he happened to love horror films. I for one was not mentally or emotionally prepared for what was about to appear on the projected screen. I was the only not enjoying it; I was absolutely terrified and felt like I was being emotionally threatened. I was more sensitive back then, and thus I abruptly got up and ran out of the room in tears. I sat in the bathroom, sitting on the floor crying. It was even more of an embarrassment when I realized that I was locked in and couldn’t get out. My fear was at an all-time high and it was as if I had become part of the movie. I pounded my fists on the door until someone heard me and I was a mess when an adult finally helped me out. I was taken to another room where they had an emotionally “safe” children’s film playing.

Let’s take a moment to realize that did indeed happen and I am not joking.

Now, with that awful memory in mind, I found out last year that MTV was premiering a new show based on the one and only film “Scream.” The horror film that scarred me as a child. Considering that was about a decade ago, I decided that it was time for me to face my fear. As I started watching the show, I was skeptical about what I was getting myself into. I felt my body jump a little at times with my heart pounding. But for the first time I experienced the thrill of watching a horror movie, but as someone who watches a diverse list of shows, I definitely felt more comfortable watching it as a show. One episode each week. New twists, new character drama. I was hooked. I felt sympathy for the characters, some of which were more likable than others. And when the season finale arrived, I was on the edge of my seat. I was shocked when the killer was revealed. But as the season ended, I finally came to the realization that I didn’t feel overcome with fear. It was the thrill of anticipation and being on the edge of your seat to find out what will happen next.

There’s also the fact that the killer is a man or woman hiding behind a scary mask and going around on a murder spree. But that is realistic. Serial killers and murderers exist in the real world, and awful killings happen almost every day. So maybe I’m not scared anymore of killers on a TV or computer screen. Because in the end, there are real killers out there who threaten our lives, around the world, and those are the ones we are constantly reminded of on the news. People we don’t suspect. People we once thought we knew but never really knew. Those people are manifested in the “Scream” TV series.

With last week's conclusion of Season 2, I finally began catching up on the new season this past weekend and it caught up to me that I am binge-watching a show based on a horror film franchise. Maybe it’s the realization that I’ve matured mentally and emotionally in more ways than I thought. After all, I’m not the same fourth-grade girl anymore. Violent killings with blood and guts don’t scare me as much as they used to, but I still definitely cringe in disgust each time I see it.